SLAM question

Scleveland

Aug 4, 2019
Georgia
I'm on day 4 of SLAM and wanted to get some advice. My water is, and has been, clear and is now sparkling! Visible algae has appeared to lessen each day, until today. I went 11 hours between checks and lost 8 ppm FC. The last two days I have lost just over this amount combined, so this drop seems pretty significant. I am also noticing the algae seems to coming back in greater amounts. I even found visable algae in skimmer opening I have never seen (pictured below). Rubbed that down with bleach and a paper towel. I have kept great logs and am confident in my testing with the Taylor K-2006. I am using 10% bleach. I live in GA and we are in the midst of a heat wave and my pool is in direct sunlight most of the day! Should I cover the pool for part of the day with all of this heat? Anything else I should consider or do? Thanks for the help!!!

Attachments

• 20190821_193550.jpg
    20190821_193550.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
A little off your subject but it is pretty difficult to SLAM with a CYA of 80. That means your FC should be replenished up to 31 ppm the ENTIRE duration of the SLAM. Is that what you are doing?

A little off your subject but it is pretty difficult to SLAM with a CYA of 80. That means your FC should be replenished up to 31 ppm the ENTIRE duration of the SLAM. Is that what you are doing?
Unfortunately, it is. I've used 24 gallons of 10% bleach so far. The CYA was higher earlier this season and I've managed to drop if from 100 to 80 prior to beginning the slam. Should I consider draining more?

Should I consider draining more?
At this late date in the swim season, I would let it ride. Check it in the Spring and get it down to CYA of 50 ppm if it isn't there by then.

OK, let's talk about your algae, For TFP purposes, we never think the water is clear if there is ANY sign of visible algae. I get the impression you are not brushing enough. Every day, brush all the algae and debris that you can find up into the pool water. You must expose it to that high-chlorine water for the chlorine to kill it and get it filtered out of your pool. Vacuum manually or with a robot every day during the SLAM. In synopsis, you must get your pool water in turmoil to kill and filter out the algae.

Do not cover up the pool until you complete the SLAM. All pools need to breathe a little and that is especially true during a SLAM.

You are done with the SLAM when....
1. Your Pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae
2. You passed the OCLT losing not more than 1 ppm of FC
3. Your CC's test is either .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

Reactions: Scleveland
At this late date in the swim season, I would let it ride. Check it in the Spring and get it down to CYA of 50 ppm if it isn't there by then.

OK, let's talk about your algae, For TFP purposes, we never think the water is clear if there is ANY sign of visible algae. I get the impression you are not brushing enough. Every day, brush all the algae and debris that you can find up into the pool water. You must expose it to that high-chlorine water for the chlorine to kill it and get it filtered out of your pool. Vacuum manually or with a robot every day during the SLAM. In synopsis, you must get your pool water in turmoil to kill and filter out the algae.

Do not cover up the pool until you complete the SLAM. All pools need to breathe a little and that is especially true during a SLAM.

You are done with the SLAM when....
1. Your Pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae
2. You passed the OCLT losing not more than 1 ppm of FC
3. Your CC's test is either .5 ppm or 0 ppm.
Thanks for the advice! I am brushing a ton already. Normally, I brush before I add more bleach, so it's several times a day. I'll keep going. Hopefully there will he more improvement soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.