Slam process question

OK. So this morning the FC=14.5 and the CC=1.0, and I poured another bottle into the pool. This evening the FC=19 and CC=1.0. Another 1/2 bottle of bleach with that.
I'm wondering about all the trees in my yard, with all of the debris that falls into the pool. Would this cause the CC to be elevated?

5 hours later, my FC=21 and CC=1.0. I'm not doing the 25ml sample of water with the FC so high. The CC has been between 0.8 and 1.0 for the past 46 hours. Does it always take so long to get rid of that last thousand parts per million of combined chlorine?
Should I add another 11 ounces of bleach? Will it make a difference?

If you end your SLAM too soon, you will be back at it.

You have to satisfy the 3 criteria

Crystal clear water
pass OCLT
CC less than 0.5

Add an extra day if you are not certain, or you want to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I'd go back to 25ml test to get a more precise CC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 7:30pm, after a rain storm, the FC=16.6 and the CC=0.6. Still not below 0.5, so I added 2/3 a bottle of bleach. I'm hoping that the CC will be down to 0.5 or lower sometime this evening, and then I can try for the OCLT in the morning.
Question: If CC comes down to 0.5 or lower, and I lose more than 1.0 FC overnight, I am to continue the SLAM, pursuing a Shock level of 22?

I may choose to restart the slam..... after the 4th of July
This morning my CYA is around 55. TA=110. FC=19 and CC=0.6. I've kept the FC up to as high as 27 yesterday, but the CC has remained at 0.6 for the past 60 hours. I intend to let the FC drift down and start using the pool for the July 4th celebration. What's the purpose of all of this slamming if I can't use the pool at the peak summer holiday? Obviously I should have started slamming sooner, but after 8 days, and 43 gallons of bleach, it gets a little discouraging that I can't meet the criteria to finish the slam.

I intend to let the FC drift down and start using the pool for the July 4th celebration

You can safely swim as long as your FC is at or less than slam level (and you can see the bottom, which you can), so you do not need to let it go too far below SLAM level. The biggest negative I here about this is "red eye" and "chlorine smell" however from what I have read this is from chloramines (CC).

This morning my CYA is around 55
CYA usually does not fluctuate as much. I understand why your CYA went from 30-40 to 70 because of the addition of trichlor which contains CYA. But CYA should not go down unless you have water replacement, not just addition due to evaporation. So it would have to be a lot of backwash, vacuuming to waste, or rain overflowing your pool. I live somewhat close to you and although my water is high on the skimmer it is not close to over the top. So I am wondering if there is a good reason for it to drop?

I know CYA is my most difficult test and light conditions can fluctuate my reading, so here is what I did and it seems to have really helped on not only my reliability but inter-rater reliability (my wife and I). I ordered from TFTestkit.net a standard 50 ppm sample of pool water to mix with the CYA reagent (also another view tube and mixing bottle) and mix up a sample of the 50 pour into tube to the 50 line and use that as a reference so I would pour in my water (mixed with reagent) till it looked the same as the 50 standard sample and read the level. Also,as per directions I round off to the number closest to the level, ie. 55 = 60. This has really made my readings a lot more consistent and have had some others try and everyone comes up with the same #.

Have a good 4th and enjoy that pool

I may choose to restart the slam..... after the 4th of July
This morning my CYA is around 55. TA=110. FC=19 and CC=0.6. I've kept the FC up to as high as 27 yesterday, but the CC has remained at 0.6 for the past 60 hours. I intend to let the FC drift down and start using the pool for the July 4th celebration. What's the purpose of all of this slamming if I can't use the pool at the peak summer holiday? Obviously I should have started slamming sooner, but after 8 days, and 43 gallons of bleach, it gets a little discouraging that I can't meet the criteria to finish the slam.

The point of a a pool is to enjoy it, right? So if you slide back a couple days but get to enjoy your holiday, that seems like a good compromise.

So you will I'll have to SLAM for a couple days longer? Eh, so what?

Also, 8 days is not that bad; we have seen SLAMs that take weeks. And yes you have farther to go. But sliding back a couple days is a small price to pay to have a great time on the 4th!

i extended my SLAM a couple days longer than necessary to be 100% sure. Now I typically see my CC at zero.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.