Slam or No?

Bruno2

Jun 1, 2018
Broken Arrow , OK
Here are some pics of my water:

Slam 1.jpgSlam 2.jpg

My chlorine is at 8 ppm. I raised it to 9 ppm Sunday. It looks a little cloudy, but it is clearing. The second picture is the pool vacuum and the drain under 9'6" of water. Do I need to do a full tilt slam raising it to 28 ppm or will less do?

Honestly, I'm having a hard time telling if the deep end is obscured from the water movement or organics. You might know better than me. But if in doubt, you could run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test this evening to see if there's any excessive FC loss. If so, then you know you need to SLAM. Even if you just do an OCLT this evening, it won't hurt to increase the FC to 50-75% of your SLAM level just to help it overnight if the water was a bit stressed for some reason. If you confirm a SLAM, go 100% all the way.

I tested the FC at 8 ppm around 1:00 PM. Should I test again in the morning or afternoon?

- - - Updated - - -

I will shut the pump off and take another photo.
Test FC after the sun stops shining on the water and again in the morning before it hits it again. In a perfect world, the two readings will be the same, because two things consume FC: Organics (algae) and sunlight. By eliminating sunlight, you can see if you lose any to organics. That's an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test -- Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

It rained all day today. The pool is higher than it should be. I hit it with 9- 121oz (1089 oz) jugs of Clorox around 3 PM.I let it circulate for an hour and I just re tested it. The FC was 25 ppm and the CC was still at 0.5. Should it still be at 0.5? It almost registered that it had "0" CC. Can I not test for CC while the FC is this high?

I added another 121oz of Clorox to see how close that gets me to the desired 28ppm for the shock. I will re test around 6 PM.

It rained all day today. The pool is higher than it should be. I hit it with 9- 121oz (1089 oz) jugs of Clorox around 3 PM.I let it circulate for an hour and I just re tested it. The FC was 25 ppm and the CC was still at 0.5. Should it still be at 0.5? It almost registered that it had "0" CC. Can I not test for CC while the FC is this high?

I added another 121oz of Clorox to see how close that gets me to the desired 28ppm for the shock. I will re test around 6 PM.
CC will fluctuate. Even when a pool is pristine and hasn't seen algae in years the CC pops up once in a while. Don't fret about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does Clorox even make regular bleach anymore without the Cloromax technology? I haven't seen any regular bleach from Clorox this year at all, and it is not on their website either. If your Clorox has "Cloromax", then you need to stop using it and change to a regular bleach (6-8% Sodium Hypochlorite) with no additives or liquid chlorine shock (10+% Sodium Hypochlorite).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.