SLAM not working?

John Rock

Apr 10, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
When I opened the pool about a month ago (from green soup), everything progressed as usual and the water was fairly clear (not perfect). I had to leave for a week so asked SO to add "some chlorine" daily and let me know if water was getting worst, which it didn't according to her. During that period, I was also dissolving some CYA in the skimmer basket.

When I came back and peaked under the solar cover, it was clear algae was blooming. I removed the solar cover and started slamming.

For about two weeks now, I've been maintaining SLAM levels or much higher, and although it's now getting better, I've felt like I've been getting little progress since. Full disclamer: I have not been brushing or vaccuming, but couldn't even see the pool floor, but have left to Polaris cleaner on most of the time. I haven't put back the solar cover since.

In this time, the pollen and tree debris have been intense. I have two trees almost touching each other from each side of the pool, plus many others not too far away.

I use 12% liquid chlorine. Besides CYA and muriatic acid, I haven't added anything else in the water.

Suspecting my sand filter was maybe at fault, I followed the directions to do a deep clean yesterday. The sand was extremely dirty and I stopped trying to clean it after two long sessions of flooding it. I also felt like the sand level was too low, so I added an extra bag of sand before closing it back. Since then, my tank pressure had really increased, like from 7 to 13 psi in normal mode, and it spikes to 20-25 when the solar heating kicks in, which seems too hight to me and is causing issues with my chlorine injection tube inflating like a sausage instead of being to discharge as usual.

I feel like I'm loosing the war!

Pool levels:
TA = 75
PH = 7.4
CYA = 35
Free chlorine = Between 12 and 20, depending on my level of frustration

At least you were upfront and honest about skipping a couple steps. :salut: If the pool was as yucky as you say, it will take some time. We know the SLAM Process works, so it's a matter of constancy and attention to detail now.

- It's good you did the deep clean. The earlier lower pressure may have been a result of channeling in the sand. You fluffed it up and now there is more resistance.
- You have to brush everyday. It's a key component to breaking up the biofilms trying to adhere to the pool surfaces.
- Inspect, inspect, inspect ALL areas of the pool. Ladders/handrails, behind a light, etc.
- Be sure of the CYA so that you don't waste chlorine if not needed. If you call the CYA 40, then keep the FC at 16 as best as you can based on your daily schedule.

You'll get this.

but couldn't even see the pool floor,
Any crud on the bottom needs to go. As long as it's there, it will chew through any FC you add and slow your progress down to a crawl. I believed it, but still didn't believe my own eyes when I watched mine turn blue in front of me, minutes after removing the last scoop of crud.

You will have to do it blindly at first. Go slow and try to stick to a pattern. It will test your patience but at some point it will clear enough to see the last bits left and then you can get them too.

Thanks for your support!

- I wasn't aware that I needed to round up to 40 for CYA factoring when around 35, so 12 PPM of chlorine was too low!
- Brushing: I NEED to do this based on your comments, period. What do you think about closing the skimmer to better suck the stuff being brushed?
- Crud: I think I'm ok there given I find the Polaris really good at this. When it comes out virtually empty, I'm confident the bottom is clear.
- Solar cover: can I leave it on while slamming? It would help in chlorine retention but I've noticed that leaving it on for a while sometimes "creates" algae blooms.
- Sand filter: any concerns with the high PSI? It's really when the solar heaters kick in that the PSI really gets high at around 25 PSI unless I slown down the pump, from 3600 rpm to say 2600. Any concerns with leaving the pump to 2600 in respects to having enough filtration action going on? I ordered some DE to boost filtration but I think that this is going to be no go after adding the extra bag of sand.
- Future: any sense in me opening the pool later in the season next year, waiting for all this pollen to pass? Or is it just as good to start it soon and keep it clean even though it will be too cool to swim?

Thanks!

What do you think about closing the skimmer to better suck the stuff being brushed?
Either way really. If you have a drain that pulls well, you can certainly brush debris softly to the drain, just be careful to not overwhel it all at once.

Solar cover: can I leave it on while slamming?
Periodically is okay, but pull it back for a couple hours each day if possible to let the sun's UV burn off the CCs.

any concerns with the high PSI?
For now no. It will fluctuate for now. Let's see how it goes as your SLAM progresses. No need to have the pump on a high rpm. A low to medium rpm is just fine.

I ordered some DE to boost filtration
Save that to the very end if needed.

Future: any sense in me opening the pool later in the season next year,
Earlier is always better. Pollen, well, it's just a pain, but your water will go green from other issues if you let it sit too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.