SLAM-ing with a DE filter with no backwashing possibility

CamiS

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2022
Massachusetts
We have just opened the pool and we have some green algae on the bottom , not too bad but still ... We have a DE filter installed with no backwashing possibility .Right now it is clean and with no DE on it. I'm about to start SLAMing the pool and was wondering if I should add DE from the very beginning - or run it for a while with no DE in it to gather the big debris, then wash the filter and add DE ? (I'm clear about the chemical part of SLAM-ing, we've done it before but never with an agae issue... )

A DE filter should never be run without DE or an alternative filter media on the grids.

You will be breaking down the filter and cleaning, a lot.

Best to run the filter in recirculate (can you do that?) until the algae is dead (blue and cloudy water) then filter.

Reactions: CamiS
I would just run as normal, expecting to break down and clean filter 2-3x. That was my experience (I also have no multi-port before my DE filter) and it wasn't that bad. My SLAM wasn't very dire, but I definitely cleaned it twice in two days, before it really let up in the early stages of SLAM.

It's safer to clean back to 100% (takes me about 20 minutes on my DE60.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.