Slam in summer or wait until chlorine isn't being obliterated by UV?

WeAllSwam

Apr 14, 2022
Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have to slam soon because I failed the overnight chlorine loss test, but I'm afraid of having to spend an ungodly amount of money on chlorine by slamming in summer in record texas heat.

The downside of not slamming now is I'm using more chlorine anyway keeping the algae at bay and perhaps stressing the filter more.

Maybe I could drain the pool to lower the CYA and slam with lower levels that way, then bring the CYA back up?

What would you do?

Without test results being available pretty hard to provide guidance.

Doing the SLAM Process is not that much different in summer or winter ---

My CYA is 60, so based on the chart my slam ppm would be 24.

I understand that the process is the same whether it's summer or winter, but the UV consumption of the chlorine is much higher in summer, so I might spend much more money doing it now. But I'll do it if waiting would cause bigger issues. Currently, I keep chlorine at 4-10 ppm (4 at the end if the day).

But how much chlorine are you wasting because its being eaten by organics? And then there is the intangible in the added stress this is creating for you. Probably taking more of your time too.
I normally start a slam after the sun goes down, so at least you get one night in to get it going right.

Randy

I understand that the process is the same whether it's summer or winter, but the UV consumption of the chlorine is much higher in summer, so I might spend much more money doing it now. But I'll do it if waiting would cause bigger issues. Currently, I keep chlorine at 4-10 ppm (4 at the end if the day).
The longer you wait, the worse it will get.

Reactions: Newdude

I'm in AZ...pool is in full sun. I would drain at least 1/3-1/2 your pool. Refill. Check cya. Hopefully below 40.

I had a little different issue... The past few weeks. I let my cya deplete unknowingly(I assume uv's ate it up). Pumping more chlorine than usually getting nowhere. Finally tested cya and nothing. Pool couldn't hold chlorine for a day. So I started raising cya and pushing down pH to prepare for slam.

Last night I had about 15-20 cya level, 7.2 ph... So I dumped in 4 gallons of chlorine. 33k gal pool, but lower cya got levels high enough to wake up to clear pool. I'm continuing with elevated levels of chlorine today. Reset, clean grid, balance chems, etc tomorrow.

For me it seems to be working. Don't delay. You'll just keep chasing it. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in AZ...pool is in full sun. I would drain at least 1/3-1/2 your pool. Refill. Check cya. Hopefully below 40.

I had a little different issue... The past few weeks. I let my cya deplete unknowingly(I assume uv's ate it up). Pumping more chlorine than usually getting nowhere. Finally tested cya and nothing. Pool couldn't hold chlorine for a day. So I started raising cya and pushing down pH to prepare for slam.

Last night I had about 15-20 cya level, 7.2 ph... So I dumped in 4 gallons of chlorine. 33k gal pool, but lower cya got levels high enough to wake up to clear pool. I'm continuing with elevated levels of chlorine today. Reset, clean grid, balance chems, etc tomorrow.

For me it seems to be working. Don't delay. You'll just keep chasing it. Good luck.
Not that difficult to SLAM Process with CYA of 60. It's just the initial chlorine dose to get to SLAM Process level of 24 for CYA 60.

Accurate test results are required. Dumping in a bunch of chlorine without knowing the chemicallevels before doing so isn't doing a proper SLAM Process. Following the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test completely will yield quicker results at a lower cost - usually with less overall work.

If your way works for you, great. But it is not the recommended TFP method and not endorsed by TFP.

I'm in AZ...pool is in full sun. I would drain at least 1/3-1/2 your pool.
As proavia said in the previous post, there is no good reason to drain any of your pool. SLAM at 60 CYA is fine, just not perfect. The time and energy (and water) you would waste doesn't make economic sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.