SLAM in Progrees Safe to Swim?

NashvilleViaStl

Sep 2, 2021
Nashville,TN
FC 20, 2 1/2 days
CYA 50
PH 7.6
Algae started to build up after 5 days away and filter basket full. Algae eventually started winning.
From other posts safe to swim if you can see bottom and FC is below slam level. I had clarifier, sorry, and water is cloudy but can barely see bottom. Safe to swim? Half 9F4A1465-3B96-4F18-8499-9CC6607F2053.jpegB7BC28FA-EECB-402A-A3BD-E70F748E9650.jpeg1FFAAFD3-55A7-4833-A4DB-8E3A5C3A2EE9.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: In reference to the FC level, with a current CYA of 50 and FC SLAM level of 20, it is safe to be in the water. See the FC/CYA Levels. As for visibility, as long as you can see your feet in the water as to not step on anything, you are okay. You can get in there and clean/brush, etc.

What is causing the cloudyness?
My bet is on algae. Algaecides, clarifier or floc products won't remove it. Avoid those at all costs as they tend to cause more problems To kill and remove algae you want to follow the SLAM Process which is based on maintaining the proper percentage (ratio) of free chlorine to CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. To do that, use your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to maintain the proper FC level until you pass all three criteria.

Last question. I cannot test PH while at SLAM levels? Should I worry about his for swimmers? No need to balance anything until after SLAM? Have the app and the TF kit. Was using both to maintain slam levels. I think the problem was a basket clog and not maintaining 4-5 ppm of bleach. Again appreciate the help and will report out when SLAM is done

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.