after finding this site.... i truly had a trouble free pool for a long time..... but this past year has been a struggle. I repeatedly have slight algae... it shows up one day when i do my normal brushing of the sides. I get a slight green cloud. So I SLAM it...... after several day I pass the Overnight test and i vow to keep the chlorine level just a little higher. Next thing i know.. i have the green cloud again. I test.... my chlorine js at 5 ppm...so its not too low... but algae is back. Soo...maybe I didnt really complete the SLAM correctly. So i SLAM again..... a month later... green cloud again. I test... chlorine is still showing 5... so i wonder if regents are fresh so i order new and SLAM again. Green cloud comes back a short time later.. etc.

So I started a SLAM 5 days ago. Adjusted PH before i started... free CL was at 5 when i started... CYAnat 60. Used pool calculator to find amount of bleach to use to raise to 24... i have had to add lot of bleach during the day ... some because of heavy rain fall! But what is surprising me is the huge drop im seeing overnight!
after 5 days...still a 12 ppm drop? By now Im Usually getting close! What am i missing? Visually pool is clear... i check all the places i can for hidden algae..(behind lights ) my CYA tube black dot is a little faded so i compensated for that.... could i be wrong on my CYA? what am i doing imcorrectly this year... obviously my other SLAMS didn't work because Im wrong somewhere ?

lisa

Attachments

• B742618E-2BC1-456F-90F4-AEAE37D6250E.jpeg
    B742618E-2BC1-456F-90F4-AEAE37D6250E.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 8
if you are dropping 12 FC overnight you really are fighting something.. The pool looks clear, something else is doing it..

After your SLAM is finished...

This will help you out... With a CYA of 60, 5 FC is the minimum... lets put it another way.. 5 FC is a cliff, you never want to drive off a cliff, matter of fact you do not want to be close to the cliff..

So raise your FC to 9 daily and see where that lands you the next day, it should be about 6 FC.. do this from now on, 9> to 6 FC... You may have to raise it to 10FC and let it fall between 6 and 7 FC.. You do not want to be down at 5 FC..

How old are your reagents? If old I would order a new supply...

I hope this helps :)

SWG pool, sorry I missed that.. Your CYA should be up in the 70 or 80... I keep my SWG pool at 7 FC at all times with a CYA at 80... :)

All that advice I gave you was not for your pool.. :brickwall:

• Haha
Reactions: Lisaheidinger
As for what is dropping your FC at night I have no idea... but 12 FC it is fighting something... is it getting better or still the same?

I stay 1 to 2 FC over the recommended target.. I like the safety net.. :)

Post a full set of current test results as you aren't sharing your PoolMath logs for us to see.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Be aware that pH results are valid only with FC below 10.

Review FC/CYA Levels
Notice the recommended CYA minimums for SWG.

If you are having to do multiple SLAM Process, you either aren't fully completing the SLAM and/or are allowing the FC to drop below the minimum recommended on the FC/CYA Levels.

What is your pump run time?
What is your SWG percentage set to?

Reactions: Mdragger88
If i can ever beat this thing i will vow to keep it higher in future.. i always thought the benefit of an SWG was being able to keep a lower chlorine level? 🤷🏼‍♀️
at this point Im gonna let the chlorine drop to 10 ...keep it there until after my 4 th of july party ....then start the slam again. Its at 12 now....

Post a full set of current test results as you aren't sharing your PoolMath logs for us to see.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Be aware that pH results are valid only with FC below 10.

Review FC/CYA Levels
Notice the recommended CYA minimums for SWG.

If you are having to do multiple SLAM Process, you either aren't fully completing the SLAM and/or are allowing the FC to drop below the minimum recommended on the FC/CYA Levels.

What is your pump run time?
What is your SWG percentage set to?
I gave test results prior to starting slam... as results now wouldn’t be helpful.
my pump runs 9 am to 6pm... SWG IS SET AT 50% this time a year.

i was using 60 cya....which says min Fc is 3.... i guess i need to plan for higher ... although when i test... my chlorine has not dropped below 5 so....in theory.. i should be good....unless my CYA testing are off....🤷🏼‍♀️

going to let it drop to 10 and keep it there for the weekend... and raise again to 24 on Monday untill i pass overnight test. Wish i could see what im fighting.... invisible enemy is hard...

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since your pump is set to run from 9am to 6pm, your lowest FC should be just before the pump starts at 9am (when not in SLAM mode and not losing FC overnight). Although this should be the lowest your FC gets, you should still run the pump for 30 minutes before testing to mix the water to get an accurate FC result. Always pull the water sample from the same spot, away from any returns and about 18" below the water surface.

It will not hurt anything to run the FC a bit "hot". Maybe target 7 or so and never let FC go below minimum for your CYA (presently 60).

Reactions: Lisaheidinger
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.