SLAM Help

skasyjan

Jun 4, 2020
Central Indiana
My original thread is here: FC at or near zero - Updated

(1) I started the SLAM on Monday. Dropped PH to 7.2 and raised FC to 20.5 overnight, was 14.5 Tuesday morning. No dead algae.

(2) Raised and maintained it at 20-22 Tuesday, tested and added chlorine 3 times during day and right before nighttime and was 21 overnight, and 16 in morning Wednesday.

(3) Rinse and repeat Wednesday into Thursday and Thursday morning - 2 doses plus
bedtime - there was a slight hint of dead algae (light gray sandy look) on the steps. Overnight loss was 20.5 to 17.5.

(4) Rinse and repeat Thursday into Friday and no new debris, but 21 to 16.5...

(5) And Friday to this morning another smaller dead algae deposit on my steps and a drop from 20.5 to 15.

For reference:
- the CYA was in the low end of the 40-50 so using 50 as the target in pool math
- the pool has been covered with an automatic cover a few nights due to heavy anticipated rain, but has been open some nights
- I brush and skim the pool 2-3 times per day
- Aside from the gray dust (dead algae) the pool looks visually great.
- the pool has returns in the floor of the pool which i believe is why the dead algae settles on the steps, there is no growth there as it goes “poof” with the pool brush
- the steps are vinyl covered, connected to liner, so no nooks to get in
- the pool ladder is set into the wall of the pool and have manually scrubbed around it many times with a hand brush
- I have hand scrubbed the skimmers and the returns near the surface; the returns and drains in the floor I have scrubbed around them too
-Pump runs 24/7

I feel like I have done everything I can do, BUT there is obviously something causing the chlorine to be consumed/used/lower since I am not even coming close on the overnight test and have had a few algae “dustings” show up. Presumably it is algae, but I am frustrated and looking for any tips to help get this in check.

I have used more liquid chlorine on this SLAM than anything in the past and the pool looks the same as when I started. It’s not as satisfying when the pool is already (sort of) looking clear to begin with.

(Also side question to confirm, is it safe to swim in pool if FC is below SLAM but still High. Thinking FC of say 14-16. I would like to dive in and manually scrub everything on the pool floor just in case.)

Help please.

So you have correctly uncovered at least one pool monster. The outside of the light which I scrubbed multiple times was sparkling. However The little niche behind it was a huge algae monster. I have scrubbed the inside of the niche and the light casing. It looked not quite as bad as the pictures but close.

Cleaning pool again and then will resume SLAM.

Thank you for the tips - I would not have thought to look in there or to expect it to be as bad as it was.

Reactions: IceShadow
The first night Saturday to Sunday there was still a drop of 3.5, and I admit I was nervous as I couldn’t imagine anything being left.

However, Sunday to Monday was literally no drop overnight. Water clear. Less than 0.5 CC.

Decided to pull plug and go for it, measured again last night and this morning just for my paranoia and again no loss.

My assumption is that some of the algae/growth was in the water Saturday night.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.