SLAM Help...

Monkeymom1999

May 7, 2019
Virginia
Ok so we are starting day 3 of the slam.
Day 1 results were:
FC 6
CC 3
Ph 7
ALK 9
zero CYA

We added with a couple of socks per Pool Math 8 lbs of CYA to raise that to 40, Baking Soda to raise the Ph. Pool Math said to add 2 Gal & 2 C of liquid 10% Chlorine. We added all that, brushed the pool. Checked again 2 hours later, FC was .5. Added what Pool Math said. Checked again 2 hours later, same situation. Yesterday we followed same procedure. At 5 pm yesterday we showed FC 5. This morning FC is now .5.

We have added based solely on what Pool Math has said over 24 Gal of Chlorine at this point in 2.5 days. I've vacuumed and brushed 2 x a day for the last 2 days and once today. The filter is working, as the pressure has gone up 8-10 each day and I'm backwashing it in the evening. I'm not making any progress with just 2 Gal each time as Pool Math is telling me. Need expert opinions.... PLEASE. The pool was a giant green brown pond. It's now a deep end cloudy at the angle on down, bluish green pond, with the shallow end showing clumps of sediment.

Here's my thoughts: I think I need to add a ton(like 6-10-even 20 bottles) of Chlorine now, test to see if I can get FC to at least 10 (need 15 to be sure we get it all I think), check hourly and add to maintain that level. Pool Math additions are just not getting my Chlorine to the level it needs to be and I'm just throwing away 2 gal every couple of hours at this point. I'm so frustrated! I know I need to add to maintain but I have no idea where to start. I need some idea of how much to buy today in Chlorine. I also am going to buy DE to add through the skimmer to help filter out some of the algae. Any help would be a godsend at this point.

Well, with the chlorine consumption I wish you would have done the ammonia elimination protocol before adding the CYA. If ammonia is present, the CYA fed the bacteria to create more ammonia.
So done is done. Follow the below now:
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. If FC at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

Had no idea about ammonia. I'm going to test now, add what I've got based on Pool Math, test again in 15 min. I'll after this addition I'll have to head out for more Chlorine. I may wait until I have enough on hand to do this properly. I added CYA based on a suggestion here based on my first test with the Taylor K2006 kit. I'll start this this afternoon and post progress. Thanks for your help!

I am not sure you have ammonia, but, your fast consumption of chlorine and high CC reported is a tell.

So if I do the add CL, 15 min, test, eventually I'll defeat the ammonia? Will I need something to counteract it? I'm going to Home Depot as their chlorine is less than $3 each. Any suggestions on how many to buy? Anything else you think I'll need. Driving an hour one way to pick it up as I've bought all Lowes had and Walmart only had 6 left.

Here's my list so far:
10 3 count gallons of Liquid Chlorine (30 Gal total)
2 Gal Muriatic Acid

If ammonia is present, the chlorine will consume it.
Your shopping list looks good. Tough to say how much chlorine is needed. But what you will buy will make a dent in the SLAM if by chance there is no ammonia.

Thanks!
So I added 4 bottles of 10% this morning at 9. After going to get more Chlorine got home to test at 1. FC was at 5.5. Added 2 more gallons. Tested at 3:30 FC was at 6 so I added 2 more gallons.

My CYA tested today at 1 was at 40.
I’m guessing not ammonia but serious, serious algae. I can also see some bottom in the deep end. Something we’ve not seen since when we closed the pool. I’m going to test again at 4 and see where it’s at.

If ammonia is present, the chlorine will consume it.
Your shopping list looks good. Tough to say how much chlorine is needed. But what you will buy will make a dent in the SLAM if by chance there is no ammonia.

I want to say a huge thank you to mknauss! Your suggestion of adding, checking in 15, adding worked! It's not completely clear but it is beginning to hold chlorine. Test this morning showed FC at 6. We last added chlorine yesterday at 7pm. Still have algae present but it's dying out slowly but surely. Adding chlorine according to pool math now to keep it in SLAM mode. Gonna continue to slam until we get the 3 results to show it's finished for at least 24 hours. Checking it every 2 hours today.

I feel like we have finally turned a corner. We can see the entire bottom, color is lightening up, and there is just one good sized clump of algae. I'm going to get some DE to add to my sand filter to help get rid of the particulates floating around.
Thanks you again for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so, we finally had an overnight where FC stayed up. Tests this morning showed

FC 15
CYA 60
PH 7.4
ALK too high to keep wasting test reagents (stopped at 300)
CC 0 (never turned pink, turned yellow eventually)

I've still got cloudy, green-ish water and algae clumps in the bottom. Have been running my Zodiac for about 2 hours hoping to help the filter get some of the gunk out. Water is not clear but I am meeting 2 out of the 3 SLAM protocols. I plan to keep on SLAMming for the next 1-3 days until I get sparkly blue water. Do I need to do anything to bring down the ALK? I'ts like super super high.

What I've used so far:
54 bottles of 10% Chlorine
7.4 pounds CYA (went from 0 to 60)

Keep testing your FC and adding chlorine back to 24 ppm FC. First sign of a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. You do not have that, so keep going.

Still struggling with some green. The shallow end is blue but the slant and bottom of the deep end still has a greenish hue. I’ve brushed, vacuumed daily, left the vaccum in the deep end all day yesterday to help that end filter.

Test last night
Ph 7.6
Cc 0
FC over 30 (stopped to save reagent as I’m waiting on more to come today)

Posting some pictures of the deep end.

My question is is this a filter issue? Do I need to change the sand? It’s been 8 or more years since I did that. I do have some sand on my steps. Could be bad laterals? If I’m going to change sand I’ll also put new laterals to be safe.

Attachments

• BC9101F2-8083-484A-BDFF-F99455318300.jpeg
    BC9101F2-8083-484A-BDFF-F99455318300.jpeg
    850.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 22DBFCC3-B11C-4E2D-8C5E-2D43050DB986.jpeg
    22DBFCC3-B11C-4E2D-8C5E-2D43050DB986.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 5
If sand is coming from the filter it will be under the return. I can tell by your pics you have lots of trees around. At one corner of my pool there is an overhanging tree and there is always "sand" in that corner. Do you have trees that overhang your steps?

Filter sand rarely needs to be changed, but deep cleaning it every so often is a good idea. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Yes, we do get sand in that corner. Lots of tree debris near the end of summer. I also really only see the sand when I backwash. Once vacuumed it does not come back daily. I'm thinking do a deep clean of the filter and continue SLAM. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.