CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
You'd rather deal with the spring debris than the exponentially growing algae once it warms up IMO.

The cover needs to be open to SLAM to allow the sun to burn off the CCs produced by the process.

Mix for a full day before adding CYA, salt or CH. They had all winter to stratify and are slow to mix.

It's plenty late in the season by you to fire up the equipment with no freeze concerns.

When you do open :

1) mix
2) get CYA to 30
3) get PH to a low 7
4) SLAM Process
4-A) the crud needs to go, because it'll chew through chlorine. The process will lighten the pool so you can see more crud on the bottom. Scoop and vac blindly doing your best to maintain a pattern until then.

That is super helpful to know. I 'soft opened' my pool yesterday and put in a punch of liquid chlorine, letting the pump circulate it because it's already green. If i don't take the cover off it won't get clear? I was planning on doing it in a week when i had an extra set of hands since the cover is such a bear to manage by myself.

I was planning on doing it in a week when i had an extra set of hands since the cover is such a bear to manage by myself.
It is what it is sometimes. :)

With the cover on the sun won't burn off the CCs, and you can't brush or vac. That's a good chunk of the SLAM needs.

I'd dump in 5ppm FC a day until you can go all in. It'll help it from getting worse.

If you have a bot you can throw it in under the cover to do a little pre work. Shouldn’t be much large debris just leaves & such.

Reactions: Newdude
It is what it is sometimes. :)

With the cover on the sun won't burn off the CCs, and you can't brush or vac. That's a good chunk of the SLAM needs.

I'd dump in 5ppm FC a day until you can go all in. It'll help it from getting worse.

i got a little inspired today and just did the cover myself. she's fully open now. except for the pond-green aspect of it all and 48F temp :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude