SLAM Gone Wrong?

Minda Martin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
Arkansas
I started my slam yesterday. Pool Math and nice people said I needed to get my chlorine up to 16 for my pool. I started with 4 gallons @6% according to Pool Math.
My FC was at 10.5. I added another gal. at 3:30 and at 4:30, FC was 13.0 I added another gal at 5:15 Tested at 6:00 and FC was still 13.0 I added 2 gallons at 6:45 Added 1 more gal at 7:30. Tested at 8:35 and FC was 19.0, so I over-chlorinated by 3. I did the over night chlorine loss test and at 6:15 a.m. it tested 17.5, a loss of 1.5. At 7 a.m. today I added another gallon. At 8:30, FC tested 18.5. At 10:30 I received an emergency call that I needed to pick up my Grands, over an hour away. So I poured in another gal. and left. At 1:25, I was back home and tested. So about 3 hours later ,the FC was 10.5 again! I poured in 2 more gals. and at 2:15 added 2 more gallons. So 15 gallons so far! Since letting the FC drop to 10.5, did I totally mess up? My pool is beautiful. Very clear! I still have seen no signs of algae. I have blisters from brushing plus I have my robot in. I backwashed once. My pressure had gone to 15. It is staying on 15 instead of the normal 11. Something is definitely wrong though! Where is that algae? Just took another FC at 3:00 and now it's 18.5. So 2.5 above my target.

You can visit your dear departed algae in your filter.

I wouldn't worry about the drop to 10.5, you got it back up so quickly it shouldn't be cause for alarm. Keep on keeping on with the chlorine. People have tested and added far less consistently/frequently and still cleared their pools. Yours will just clear up a bit faster since you're able to test/add so frequently.

Also, don't worry about the overdosing, and keep in mind that during the day the sun will deplete chlorine in addition to the algae that you're fighting.

You can visit your dear departed algae in your filter.

I wouldn't worry about the drop to 10.5, you got it back up so quickly it shouldn't be cause for alarm. Keep on keeping on with the chlorine. People have tested and added far less consistently/frequently and still cleared their pools. Yours will just clear up a bit faster since you're able to test/add so frequently.

Also, don't worry about the overdosing, and keep in mind that during the day the sun will deplete chlorine in addition to the algae that you're fighting.
Thank you! I was feeling rather sick over being unable to stay around the 16.

OK. Some SLAMs go on for weeks - if your water is clear and you're just doing it to clear up algae that isn't even visible yet, then you will probably have a much quicker one!

I sure hope so! It isn't so intimidating now. I have read almost continuously the past two days. I think I am becoming obsessed with my pool!

I totally feel you on this one ?

During my SLAM I was so obsessed with the pool and the brushing/vacuuming etc on my days off I didn’t do anything but fool with the pool. By time I cleared it I had to MAKE myself swim in it because I had worked so hard to clear it. I was just over it!! Lol but no worries. Now I’m totally happy and willing to swim everyday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I totally feel you on this one ?

During my SLAM I was so obsessed with the pool and the brushing/vacuuming etc on my days off I didn’t do anything but fool with the pool. By time I cleared it I had to MAKE myself swim in it because I had worked so hard to clear it. I was just over it!! Lol but no worries. Now I’m totally happy and willing to swim everyday
Glad to know I'm not the only one! The Grands are asking, "When can we swim?" Me... "I don't know, why don't you just go play in the bathtub! I passed the ONCT this a.m.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
Thanks! At 8:30 last night my FC was 17. I checked it at 6:00 a.m. this morning and it was 17. I didn't really trust it thinking I might have made a mistake and did the test again and it was 17. My pool is clear. At 9:00 a.m. my FC was 12.5, CC was 1.5, TA 110, CYA 30. I brushed one last time and back washed and rinsed. Turned my SWG back on. It says 3100 and I have it set at 55. Pool Math says I need 7 and 1/2 pounds of stabilizer. I have 2 lbs in each sock hanging in front of my 2 skimmers. (Squeezing them occasionally.) I will add the other 3 1/2 lbs when these are done. I had to add about 2 inches of water to the pool. Is there anything else I should do until my FC comes down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.