SLAM FOR 3 DAYS

monty1

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Shelbyville, Indiana
Opening last year was a breeze. Water was clear, still had chlorine in it, and was up to correct levels within a couple of days.

I have had this pool for 35 years and this opening has been my most challenging.

Pool was a cloudy light green color upon opening. Began filtering, brushing walls and floor, but could not see beyond the first step. SLAMed the pool for the last 3 days and still no improvement. So far, I have used 26 gallon of 10% chlorine, back-washed twice a day and getting less and less of white colored backwash each time. Pool almost looks like light green marble with no change in visibility.
CH - 300
TA - 150
FC - 31
CC - 1.5
CYA - 0 at opening, have added 7 LB of stabilizer - cannot measure cya due to cloudy water in test tube. - guessing 30ppm

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6
Well, if you started with "0" CYA and added 7 pounds, that would be 35 CYA in your pool. We will call it 40 in case there was a little there.

It's possible when you opened and found "0" CYA that it had been convereted to ammonia over the winter. The early additions of chlorine were probable doing nothing but eliminiating the ammonia. With a FC of 31, any ammonia, if it was there is gone.

Your chlorine SLAM level is 16 for a 40 CYA. That is your target.

31 is way too high and can damage your vinyl liner.

Follow the process.

Turn off the SWCG

Test and bring FC back to 16 a minimum of 3 times a day, 5 or 6 would be better using liquid chlorine

Brush the pool once a day

Only backwash the filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Dirty sand actually filters better than clean sand.

Pump runs 24/7

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
Thanks you Tim5055.

It has now been six day since you posted. Here is where we are now.
CH - 300
TA - 150
FC - 16
CC - 0
CYA - 40

Sand filter was topped off with new sand and has been in filter mode for six days.

Pool Dolphin has completely cleaned the pool bottom and sides. Latest trips into the pool has resulted in the debris bag being completely clean.
Still brushing walls and bottom with brush at least once a day.

Pool is still very light green. I can see down to the second step into the pool only.
Been maintaining SLAM consistently.

Any recommendations as to how to clear up the pool water. Numbers seem to be correct, filter is operating properly.

It is almost like the algae is so fine, the sand is just not filtering it out and the chlorine does not seem to affect it at all.

Should we try a flocking process to try to let the sediment fall , then try to vacuum to waste??

I am searching for answers for the first time in a long time. I have been a trouble-free pool advocate for a very long time , but this is the toughest opening I have experienced in a very long time.

Welcome any comments and suggestions.

Monty1

You’re not alone. I am in the same boat. My pool was cloudy last week and I started a SLAM. I have been at it a week tomorrow. Brushing twice a day, no need for the robot the pool has nothing in it. My water is crystal clear. I have been at it with a toothbrush getting all the nooks and crannies. I am having to backwash daily, the pressure keeps rising. Hubby is over the buying of liquid pool shock when we just paid $2,000 for a SWG. It is so frustrating. I lost 7 ppm overnight and I can’t figure out why. My skimmer socks are clean. I just don’t get it.

Have you thought about adding some DE to your filter to help. I run Fiber Clear in mine normally. I stopped when I started the SLAM and just started using it again yesterday to see If it would help trap more of whatever is in the pool.

Last edited:
Flock would be a no, it just causes more problems.

Some SLAMs go quick, others may take a little longer. Instead of messing with the sand, if you think you need "more" filtering you can add DE or Cellulose Fiber DE replacement (cellulose fiber is my choice)..

Testing and adjusting the chlorine back to SLAM level multiple times a day is the key.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.