SLAM: Day 5 - Water Blue but Cloudy with Layer of Foam

Aug 3, 2018
NJ
Hello experts. Opened the pool this year (winter mesh cover) to a very brown looking pool.

Immediately started up the SLAM process. I’m now on day 5 and water is blue, however still very cloudy (see photos) and has a thin layer of what looks like foam on it. It has continued to remain blue however it seems progress has somewhat stalled. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Have brushed daily, vacuumed, just seem to be making little progress.

Numbers This AM:
FC - 14
CC - Approx. .5-1
PH - 7.8
TA - 70
CYA - 40

IMG_1965.jpegIMG_1964.jpeg

How often are you cleaning the filter and what type of filter?
What brand of liquid chlorine are you using?
What are you using for your FC target for the SLAM?
How often are you checking and replacing FC?

Sand filter, have been backwashing nearly one a day regardless if it ‘calls for it’ or not.

Using the Walmart 10% chlorine, nothing else since opening but adding some baking soda for ALK and pellet stabilizer for CYA.

Have been using 16 for target SLAM (running about ~40 CYA).

Checking it 3 times a day and adding as necessary.

Then keep going, the chlorine will take care of it, not uncommon.

If you can check more often it will go faster. No more often than every 2 hours.

Was there antifreeze in the plumbing ? That will make soapy foam for a while sometimes.

The suds definitely look soap-y to me and not pond scum-y. Either way, FC is king and cures all. :)

I’m thinking there was when they closed it although I don’t recall it being this soap-y years past
There's several brands and 2 styles of non automotive antifreeze. So they could have changed brands, or whatever other conditions needed were right this year.

Anywho, whether it's soap-y or scum-y, the cure is the same. FC is king.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so latest update I believe that foam-like substance I was seeing a few days ago was algae residue as I was able to get a small sample and it definitely had that smell. Over the past ~2 days it’s largely dissipated, however, I still have that cloudy blue look.

I purchased some DE to add to the sand filter and started that process today. Question however. Since I will likely be backwashing several times over the next day or so as I continue to add DE as needed should I still continue to keep bleach at SLAM level? Feel like that’s somewhat counterintuitive as I’ll theoretically be adding bleach, adding DE, then backwashing (and likely losing some of that bleach) every few hours. Last count for chlorine came in at 11 with CYA staying steady at ~40.

So I’ve been adding DE throughout the last day and a half or so. I do truly believe I’m getting close to the finish line, the one corner of the pool is almost clear.

I have noticed when adding DE I then often need to backwash within the next 1-2 hours at most. Is this what we’d consider normal during the end of a SLAM in terms of backwash frequency when supplementing with DE?

Is this what we’d consider normal during the end of a SLAM in terms of backwash frequency when supplementing with DE?
Oh yeah. Quick psi rise means you're trapping lots of crud.

Basically any filter works better dirty, to the point it reduces flow. The crud trapped in the filter traps even finer crud. Adding DE to your sand filter turbocharges the getting dirty part and then gets to work right away trapping the fine stuff.

Run GIF by Challenger

• Love
Reactions: newdude
So I’ve been adding DE throughout the last day and a half or so. I do truly believe I’m getting close to the finish line, the one corner of the pool is almost clear.

I have noticed when adding DE I then often need to backwash within the next 1-2 hours at most. Is this what we’d consider normal during the end of a SLAM in terms of backwash frequency when supplementing with DE?
Adding to much DE can cause psi to rise pretty quick too!