SLAM complete

jkeefauver

Jun 7, 2019
Hanover, PA
So I've completed SLAM, passed all the criteria. Water clear. FC: 17, CC .5. pH and TA inaccurate due to FC level I assume. What are my next steps to get things balanced now. I'm away on business for next 36 hours so wonder what I should do....do I let the FC drop to normal levels (i.e. 5ppm) and then retest the pH and TA and adjust?

What is your CYA level? You can let your FC drift down. You just want to make sure it doesn't drift too low while you are gone. After that adjust TA and PH as needed.

Let your FC drift down to the correct level for CYA 60. Just make sure it doesn't drop too low while you are gone. I've logged all my tests in a notebook for the last couple of years so I have a good idea how long I can go before the level drops too far.

Your minimum FC for a CYA of 60 is 5 ppm. Your target is 7-9 ppm

Thank you. I will begin tracking it now that SLAM is complete to identify a trend to keep it there. (7-9).

Back from business trip. FC: 7.5, CC .5, TA: 150, pH: 7.5, CYA: 60. Seems the TA is a bit high but most other things in range. FC was 14 yesterday about this time but then lots of sun and then rain this morning. Big swing which concerns me, especially with CYA that high. Advice? Based on this, I'm going to have to add chlorine every couple days, is that normal?

Back from business trip. FC: 7.5, CC .5, TA: 150, pH: 7.5, CYA: 60. Seems the TA is a bit high but most other things in range. FC was 14 yesterday about this time but then lots of sun and then rain this morning. Big swing which concerns me, especially with CYA that high. Advice? Based on this, I'm going to have to add chlorine every couple days, is that normal?
Most of us jug-dumpers add bleach every day in season. It'll take a few weeks, but you'll learn your pool's appetite and can just dump in a certain amount without having to test every day, and be pretty darn close. I urge you not to be in too big a hurry to get lazy, since you did just come off a SLAM.

There's nothing wrong with your TA. If your pool didn't like it, your pH would have jumped to 8 or better since the last test.

My FC went up overnight by 2ppm! Now, at the risk of being scolded - I added 2 oz. of algae preventative (Backup 2 from PS) that I still have in the cupboard sometime yesterday afternoon. My FC was 7.5 at 3pm yesterday (before I added it) and then 7am this morning it reads 9. Also, my pH went up a little to 7.8 and my TA is also up to 160. Finally, it rained last evening and as I'm new to this level of testing - I don't know what that does to the balances. Pool is crystal clear except for a couple little spots of what looks like coagulated dirt on the bottom. See attached photo. Advice?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.