SLAM complete still cloudy

CactusGirl

May 5, 2019
Phoenix
Hi guys,
I started SLAMing the pool Sunday without a test kit. I adjusted pH to 7.5, and calculated 20ppm for my pool given a CYA of about 50. Monday the pool improved slightly but it was still green. I added an additional 10ppm chlorine. Yesterday I received the test kit. During evening I brought the pool back up to a little over 21.5ppm FC. I performed the overnight FC loss test this morning/yesterday evening. My FC 21.5ppm and CC 0. Pool water is still a bit cloudy. Continue to run filter? What's up?

Hi guys,
I started SLAMing the pool Sunday without a test kit. I adjusted pH to 7.5, and calculated 20ppm for my pool given a CYA of about 50. Monday the pool improved slightly but it was still green. I added an additional 10ppm chlorine. Yesterday I received the test kit. During evening I brought the pool back up to a little over 21.5ppm FC. I performed the overnight FC loss test this morning/yesterday evening. My FC 21.5ppm and CC 0. Pool water is still a bit cloudy. Continue to run filter? What's up?
Can we see a picture?
A proper SLAM Process = Shock.Level.AND.Maintain
So you will have to maintain the FC/20 until it clears :) Which if you only have to up a couple times a day is great!
Are you able to brush the pool walls?
You might be at the point of adding DE to your sand filter (but you will have to babysit at first) What type/speed of pump do you have?

Can we see a picture?
A proper SLAM Process = Shock.Level.AND.Maintain
So you will have to maintain the FC/20 until it clears :) Which if you only have to up a couple times a day is great!
Are you able to brush the pool walls?
You might be at the point of adding DE to your sand filter (but you will have to babysit at first) What type/speed of pump do you have?
I was only able to "maintain" for the past 36 hours because I only text the FAS-DPD kit yesterday.
The pool was brushed multiple times for three days. I backwashed three times. The first time was pretty bad. By the third time, the water was clear and I didn't need it.
I'm not sure the speed of the pump. I will have to look it up. Adding DE to our filter sounds like a job for my husband. And I doubt he's willing to do that. I do know the sand is only six years old. Isn't it supposed to last longer than that?

Now that I'm looking at it, it still appears there's either algae or dirt on the bottom of the pool. I guess I need to continue to SLAM.
I feel like I'm going to run out of drops. I've already used a third of the bottle. ?

I was only able to "maintain" for the past 36 hours because I only text the FAS-DPD kit yesterday.
You're in the beginning of the SLAM Process :) No worries!
The pool was brushed multiple times for three days. I backwashed three times. The first time was pretty bad. By the third time, the water was clear and I didn't need it.
Excellent!
I'm not sure the speed of the pump. I will have to look it up. Adding DE to our filter sounds like a job for my husband. And I doubt he's willing to do that. I do know the sand is only six years old. Isn't it supposed to last longer than that?
  • The Pool filter DE is a "supplement" to aid in clearing faster,
    • you add 1/4c at a time through the skimmer/suction inlet to pump to raise the filter PSI 1pt
    • then you backwash once pressure goes up 25% over clean :)
    • With a cloudy pool the PSI usually raises quickly once DE is added :)

Now that I'm looking at it, it still appears there's either algae or dirt on the bottom of the pool. I guess I need to continue to SLAM.
I feel like I'm going to run out of drops. I've already used a third of the bottle. ?
Yes the FAS-DPD reagents go fast during SLAM Process, you can purchase larger refills :) (look for the F or J designation)
If the pool still has algae/dirt why didn't I lose any FC over night?
Several possible factors, If the FC isn't high enough over CYA level, if you've knocked the algae back from growth, now just the oxidizing time (which requires the most Pool.Owner.Patience)

O
You're in the beginning of the SLAM Process :) No worries!
Excellent!

• The Pool filter DE is a "supplement" to aid in clearing faster,
    • you add 1/4c at a time through the skimmer/suction inlet to pump to raise the filter PSI 1pt
    • then you backwash once pressure goes up 25% over clean :)
    • With a cloudy pool the PSI usually raises quickly once DE is added :)
Oh sweet I can do that!!! The psi is shown on the little gadget on top of the pump, correct? Skimmer is the thing in the ground with the lid right?
"25% over clean" . Talk to me like I'm in kindergarten. I may know chemicals but I don't know the pump well.

C.G...

What sample size are you using for the FC test?

For the FC test during your SLAM, you can use a 5 ml sample size and one scoop of powder. Each drop will count as 1 FC. You'll lose a bit of accuracy, but will save reagents.

When you need a bit more accuracy, use a 10 ml sample and one scoop of power. Each drop will count as 0.5 FC.

Last edited:
Oh sweet I can do that!!! The psi is shown on the little gadget on top of the pump, correct? Skimmer is the thing in the ground with the lid right?
"25% over clean" . Talk to me like I'm in kindergarten. I may know chemicals but I don't know the pump well.
No worries, I gotcha!
Yes the skimmer is the surface cleaning inlet to the PUMP
Inlet = water to PUMP (aka in to pump)
Outlet (also return) = water to POOL (aka out of pump)
Yes it should be a dial type gauge (it should show zero when the pump is off)
25% = add 1/4th your clean pressure to the number (aka clean is 13, backwash @16-17)

Reactions: CactusGirl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C.G...

What sample size are you suing for the FC test?

For the FC test during your SLAM, you can use a 5 ml sample size and one scoop of powder. Each drop will count as 1 FC. You'll lose a bit of accuracy, but will save reagents.

When you need a bit more accuracy, use a 10 ml sample and one scoop of power. Each drop will count as 0.5 FC.
Thank you!!! I was using the 10ml sample size. I will start using the 5ml during the SLAM.
I'm off to HD to get some DE and more chlorine.

Don't worry about phosphates, and stay out of the pool store. Algae feeds on phosphates. If you get rid of the algae, no need to worry about phosphates. You'll end up spending a small fortune on magic potions.

I did! My friend just switched to sand and has some leftover. Unfortunately he's talking phosphates with me and wants to take me to some pool shop.
Meanwhile there's a t-storm coming. There goes my clear but cloudy pool...
Sure, if he's buying ?
He can spring for more liquid shock ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.