SLAM chlorine test

SomePoolGuy

Nov 17, 2019
Fayetteville, Nc
Hi

Forgive me if this was already asked and answered.

When doing a SLAM, and following the table on how high my chlorine needs to be for the CYA and mustard algae I'm trying to kill, how do I test my water for such a high chlorine level I need?

Most testing kits, including the one I have, only go up to about 6-9.

I have a CYA of 50 and have a nasty case of mustard algae that's ruining my pool life. The cya was 80 but I drained it down and refilled to get it to this level.

Thanks!!

You need a test kit that has a FAS-DPD test as part of it. It tests up to basically an unlimited chlorine level. If you like the rest of your current test kit, you can just buy it.

Here’s one on Amazon: Amazon.com : Taylor Replacement Reagent FAS-DPD Refill Kit (Large) - Over 100 Tests : Garden & Outdoor

If you want a new complete test kit, the best two are Taylor k-2006c or TF-100. The Taylor can also be bought on Amazon, while the TF-100 can be bought here: TFTestkits.net

Even when not slamming, a FAS-DPD test is crucial to maintaining your pool.

If you buy just the FAS-DPD test, it won’t come with instructions, so you can refer to this page:

Good luck!!

SPG, I think the folks above got you a good answer already. I just wanted to point out that if you do indeed have MA, make sure to follow the standard SLAM Process first, completing all 3 of the passing criteria, before increasing to MA levels which is only for only 24 hrs. Good luck!

Reactions: Backcountryski
Thank you for your help, folks!

If I buy just the refill FAS-DPD kit, can I use it with what I have in my Taylor k-1004? Or do I really need to dish out $100 for the whole shabang kit?

Thanks for pointing out the MA is only for 24 hours. I think I missed that.

If I buy just the refill FAS-DPD kit, can I use it with what I have in my Taylor k-1004?
Sure, that's fine. Having the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) is what you need for the higher FC testing. Pinpoint accuracy for the higher SLAM levels. You'll be glad you got it. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.