SLAM & algae questions

thebosman

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2019
Louisiana
Using TFP guidelines, we were able to get our pool balanced and beautiful within a few days and opened up for the season.
After 2 weeks, cloudiness, then algae. Worked on getting our pH (7.4) and CYA (40) within range and began our first SLAM yesterday.
I am using the PoolMath app and following its suggestions for SLAM.
I am using the Taylor K-2006C test kit.
I have a 30' dynasty above ground vinyl pool (23900 gallons)
Here are the results so far:
5/14 AM FC=6, CC=0
5/14 PM FC=1, CC=0
5/15 AM FC=4.5, CC=.5
Pool is very green but light not dark green (if that matters), I brushed the walls, backwashed, cleaned filters.
So, here is where I need advice:
- When vacuuming, do I vacuum to waste or just let the filter do it's job?
- What changes can I expect? (Green starts to subside/fall to bottom in 3 days, water starts to clear in 5 days, etc.)
- I assume I did not watch my water balance and do maintenance as often as I should is why my pool turned. Does that sound correct?

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Since your CYA is currently 40, you should increase the FC to "16" and maintain it there until you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria. You can vacuum to waste if there is a lot of junk at the bottom. If not, you wil just be wasting water and chemicals requiring re-validation of levels. The green (if only algae) should begin to transition to gray, then blue, before clear. The timeline varies with each pool based on the level of algae and following the SLAM page. At some point the FC must've dropped too low as noted on the FC/CYA Levels page.

Maybe post a pic of your water? Are you on a well?

What he said^^^

Vacuum to waste only if you suspect a layer of soggy compost is lurking beneath the green. Since you had it clear once, that seems unlikely.

The speed varies hugely depending on how often you replenish the chlorine, how much you brush, how good your filter is, even how warm, the water is. To my memory, the fastest green to clean was three days but that guy was nuts and set his alarm clock and got up every two hours all night long to test and brush and backwash and all the rest. Typically about a week. There's several threads detailing people's experiences in this thread. Newest ones are last.

Thank you for the quick responses. Using the Pool Math app, I was filling out the SLAM fields and it would not let me enter the FC target any higher than 7 so that is what I was shooting for. So how do I know how much chlorine to add to get to FC = 16?

In the app, when you touch the FC in Overview, it takes you to the screen to make your decision on what target you wish your FC to be. If you use the slide button to select SLAM, it will give you a SLAM FC level based on the CYA level you last entered into the app. Each time you go to that section of the app, you will have to select SLAM.

In the app, when you touch the FC in Overview, it takes you to the screen to make your decision on what target you wish your FC to be. If you use the slide button to select SLAM, it will give you a SLAM FC level based on the CYA level you last entered into the app. Each time you go to that section of the app, you will have to select SLAM.
That is what I have been doing for the SLAM. Check the pic where I circled the message. That is what I mean when it wont let me use the 16...

Attachments

• Pool Math pic.jpg
    Pool Math pic.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 22
SLAM level FC will always be outside of the Target Range. The Target Range is for maintenance. The app is just letting you know (in case you inadvertently selected a higher FC) that it is outside the normal target range. Ignore that during SLAM.

Your tap water smells like chlorine due to chloramines. Water systems add them to protect the pipes from corrosion.

Ok, been a couple of weeks now. Water looks much better but not blue and clear. I found a 2-3" cut in my liner. Repaired 2 days ago. Not sure if that was hurting anything besides losing some water. I will test again this evening and post results. Getting frustrated and need help to win this battle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't get frustrated, get POP (Pool Owner Patience). Last year it took me about 3 weeks to get to crystal clear after getting to blue. I was so ready to throw in the towel and go for magic potions but simply kept at it and made it to the TFP sparkle. Grandkiddos didn't mind the haze, only grandma.

• Love
Reactions: bmoreswim
Ok, well, persistence worked. I can see the bottom of my pool. Water is bluish and clearing daily. While vacuuming yesterday, I noticed the "dirt, algae, whatever" blowing back into the pool via the jet. So I vacuumed to waste instead. Concerned about why that happened and what I should do about it.

Ok, well, persistence worked. I can see the bottom of my pool. Water is bluish and clearing daily. While vacuuming yesterday, I noticed the "dirt, algae, whatever" blowing back into the pool via the jet. So I vacuumed to waste instead. Concerned about why that happened and what I should do about it.
That depends on what type of filter you have. You haven't put that in your signature yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.