Slam 48 hours in - What am I doing wrong?

I know your grasping for answers but I think the whole idea that a 1" PVC pipe behind a light niche is eating up all your chlorine is not what's happening. My light fixture doesn't have a seal there either. It was built like 26 years ago so maybe it wasn't code then. Anyways just think about it. Even if there is a lot of algae in the pipe I don't think it is able to just flow out into your pool the same as the pool water with chlorine is going to have trouble flowing up into the light niche. And if your really worried about it you joked about the bubble gum idea but there is some stuff at Home Depot that is a two part putty usually white with a green core and you squish is all together and you can place it and it will cure underwater. I used to use it glue coral underwater inside a saltwater tank.

I do agree that they should focus on the SLAM, but I also think that their PB did a short cut job on a NEW pool that the Nelson's laid out tens of thousands of dollars for. They have every right to go at them to bring the light niche back to code.

I also think that sealing the pool from a source of stagnant water is important...no good can come from 80ft of stagnant water which, if you do the math, is roughly 3.3 gallons of water in that section of tube.

I also liked your idea of the underwater putty as I thought of that too. However, I would be concerned doing any kind of permanent sealing material as it will make any future work on the light wiring very difficult. Perhaps something as simple as a rubber stopper with holes drilled in it and sliced down the middle might work just as well.

This whole saga makes me think of how they do underwater repairs of bridge towers - caissons! Too bad there isn't a simple caisson that could be constructed to fit in a water-tight fashion around the lighting niche that would allow you to pump out just a small amount of water and allow you to work on it without having to drain 18" to 20" of water off your pool.....I'll have to start writing up a patent :p

So I'm just saying algae is not going to flourish in complete darkness so its not going to be whats chewing up all the chlorine. Sure fix the light niche but don't get so focused on thinking it has anything to do with the FC issue. Thinking about it the hole probably shouldn't be sealed unless the pool is drained below the niche because then it really does become stagnant water. If the hole is open there will be some amount of flow in and out that will allow the chlorine to do some work.

I'd be crazy enough to try to hook an air compressor up to the end of the PVC conduit that is near the electronics. You could then try to blow the water out of the tube and then try my rubber cork idea. Sure there's be a slight back flow of water, but it would minimal.

It's a perfect idea.......in my head :p

We have a compressor & wiil try that along with "rubber plug" . PB says its their "standard" way to install lights...no plug /cap. PB warranty tech is coming out Friday to inspect them.

Didnt pass OCLT
Sun 8:45 pm FC 20 CC 1
Mon 4am FC 18 CC1...
Why does CC get down to .5 during day but evenings up to 1CC? Its rained prior to CC going up test

Well you all know what I think of your PB. My opinion is that is just their excuse for doing shoddy work. But that's just par for the course with any major building project - unless your there 24/7 micromanaging them, they'll always find ways to waste time and cut corners.

As for CC going down in the day, it depends on the CC - more volatile monochloramines will burn off faster in the sunshine. So at night, when there's no Sun and lower temps, the CCs can build up. Your SLAM is still generating CCs from somewhere so you just have to keep going :(

Happy to say at least it has slowed down since the beginning... We would need to add it up from our notes (pages of them). Just guessing on last weeks bleach adds about 4-5 jugs 121oz 8.25% daily - again thats a guess. Most times after writing test results we'd just put FC result into pool math & get bleach add needed, run out & get it into the pool. The mornings seem to be the largest amount needed... Good question & great input too - thanks.

I'm curious...how much bleach per day have you been going through to maintain the SLAM?

Happy to say at least it has slowed down since the beginning... We would need to add it up from our notes (pages of them). Just guessing on last weeks bleach adds about 4-5 jugs 121oz 8.25% daily - again thats a guess. Most times after writing test results we'd just put FC result into pool math & get bleach add needed, run out & get it into the pool. The mornings seem to be the largest amount needed... Good question & great input too - thanks.

Wow so you are blowing through a lot of bleach. I maintain with 1 jug a day of the same stuff and I have little over 4,000 gallons more water. So yeah your having an additional 3-4 jugs a days being consumed. But I guess consumption from the sun is also going to go way up when during a SLAM your keeping the FC way about what the CYA protects.

You can't really compare SLAM consumption to maintenance consumption. The former is always many orders of magnitude higher than the latter, and it's driven by a lot of variables.

Yes but the reason I'm blown away is cause I visited their pool about 3 weeks ago when they were starting all this and it looked like it was in great shape. I was expecting them to be done in a couple days like I was when I did my SLAM. When I saw the pool I was surprised it even needed a SLAM. I can't believe that over 100 jugs later and it isn't over with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The SLAM is done I passed OCLT this morning!!! Whoo Hooo!!!! again Whooo Hoooooooo!!!! :rockon: Almost three weeks but WE did it! Thanks ALL at TFP & holding our hands & the priceless advice we cannot get anyplace else :lovetfp:

Stay tuned going to get SWCG next & pool cover... ohh my what a long story but "warranty" on the pool cover - new threads coming IT TIME TO SWIM - even in the rain! :paddle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.