Skin feels drier after adding SWG, not sure why?

aztodd

Gold Supporter
Apr 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-35
I converted our pool to SWG at the beginning of this season and, among other benefits, was looking forward to the "feel" of salt water that everyone seems to notice.

I do like the SWG but the water feels no different to me than before, and if anything I have noticed that my skin consistently feels drier after swimming and to the point where I need to apply lotion to relieve the itchiness.

Anyone else have this experience or am I just a weird outlier?

I keep my FC between 4-6 with CYA at 70. pH is kept between 7.6 and 8.0. Salt is at 3600 ppm.

Anyone else have this experience or am I just a weird outlier?
For every rule there is an exception to it. I hope some folks have ideas because it would be a shame if you didn’t see the benefits that most of us do. :(

Reactions: aztodd
Todd,

Well, you also love your "Poolvergnuegen" so I vote for weird outlier... :mrgreen:

Saltwater has the opposite effect on me.. I guess that all people and pools are all a little different.

The good news is the "feel" is not the main reason to own a SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I can't say I have noticed a huge difference in mine, but I do think it feels a little softer. I definitely don't think my skin feels more dry though. Just trying to think outside the box - What is your CH at? I know we tend to have a lot of calcium in our fill water in AZ - maybe really high CH can irritate skin?

I can't say I have noticed a huge difference in mine, but I do think it feels a little softer. I definitely don't think my skin feels more dry though. Just trying to think outside the box - What is your CH at? I know we tend to have a lot of calcium in our fill water in AZ - maybe really high CH can irritate skin?
Just kidding - I just saw that you use softened water for your fill water in your signature. CH probably isn't an issue then.

Reactions: aztodd
Hey Todd, new thought.

Any chance you are using a new sunscreen and are sensitive to it ? I know a couple people who have become gluten sensitive/allergic this last year and it’s in many sunscreens. My daughter is allergic and will turn beat red within minutes of applying the wrong brand. (Of course it’s *any* of the easy to find ones).

it could be that you’ve picked up a level of sensitivity (gluten or many other additives) and are having the dry skin / discomfort from the sunblock.

I find that’s usually the only time I’ll use sunblock is if I know I’m going to be at the pool all day. The rest of the time I’m usually not outside for hours and hours.

I'm curious to know if your cell is beginning to load up and start acting up after looking at your pH, TA, CH and CSI numbers for the last month.
I was is a similar spot with my TA, pH and CSI and have been observing some cell loading resulting in lower amperage and reduced salt ppm readings.
There seems to be a good reason to reduce TA lower pH and run a negative CSI in my situation anyway.

I thought the same thing after firing up our SWCG. I’ve let the salt level drift down a fair bit through rainwater and splash-out. I have definitely noticed that as the salt level came down a bit that went away. That said, correlation is not causation, so I may be connecting things that aren’t connected. That said, both my wife and I have noticed it got better. You can see my logs if you want to see where I started V’s where I’m at now with levels.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude and aztodd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm curious to know if your cell is beginning to load up and start acting up after looking at your pH, TA, CH and CSI numbers for the last month.
I was is a similar spot with my TA, pH and CSI and have been observing some cell loading resulting in lower amperage and reduced salt ppm readings.
There seems to be a good reason to reduce TA lower pH and run a negative CSI in my situation anyway.
Good question, I'll have to check it this weekend. I have been meaning to take the steps to drop my TA but just haven't gotten around to it yet
Any chance you are using a new sunscreen and are sensitive to it ?
I don't think it's likely, we mostly swim at dusk this time of year and so nobody is generally wearing sunscreen then anyway. I like the outside the box thinking though!

Reactions: Newdude
Just wanted to circle back here since I've been paying closer attention to my itchiness related to the pool chem levels. I have come to the conclusion that my itchy skin is mostly related to the pH level. When it's 7.4-7.6 my skin feels great, but when it creeps above 7.8 it starts to bother me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.