Skimmers and covers

Richterpool

May 20, 2020
East Lansdowne pa
Hi,
We have an intex 18’ x 48” pool. I have a 2100 gpm pump hooked up to the intex skimmer. The skimmer doesn’t really do much with the solar cover on and any leaves that come in while cover is off eventually sink to bottom. Do through wall skimmer work with cover on? Now that my pool is up to temp should I just ditch the cover and let the intex skimmer work? What is the advantage to through wall skimmers? My wife is very concerned about cutting a hole in the side. Has any one had a pool rip or develop leaks later from through wall skimmer?
Thanks,
Cody

I have thru wall skimmer and I don’t bother with a cover. While the over the wall skimmer actually worked pretty well, the thru wall is so much better - it won’t move around! I had to keep an eye on my water level with the over the wall skimmer because it was hooked to my only suction line. Your pool is bigger than mine was at the time, so you may already have two suction lines.

I have thru wall skimmer and I don’t bother with a cover. While the over the wall skimmer actually worked pretty well, the thru wall is so much better - it won’t move around! I had to keep an eye on my water level with the over the wall skimmer because it was hooked to my only suction line. Your pool is bigger than mine was at the time, so you may already have two suction lines.
My pool has 2 suction but my skimmer attaches to one. That feeds a 1500 gph pumps. The other suction feeds a 1000gph pump for a solar array. So I don’t use the 2 suction for one pump. Going back in the 1500 skimmer pump feeds the inlet and the solar goes over the wall.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.