Skimmer with one hole. Add Float Valve Assembly?

nieuport17

Feb 4, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just got a new pool build, and while doing pool research, I realized that my skimmers have only one hole.
Is it possible to add a Float Valve Assembly anyway?
My main drain is on all the time, so I'm thinking if the water line is too low, the float valve would close the skimmers.
The only thing I'm not sure is if this will damage plumbing on the skimmer side...

Thank you.

The manual for a Hayward SP1070 shows two holes in the bottom of the skimmer... So, I assume when you say you only have one hole, you mean one hole is open and the other hole is covered.. Is that true?

Is your main drain connected back to your equipment pad with a valve? If the main drain goes back to the equipment pad, we normally recommend only opening it 5 or 10% with most of the suction going to the skimmers..

That said, if you want to add a diverter valve to both skimmers, then if the water dropped below the skimmers, the diverters would shut off the skimmers and they would stay that way until you shut off the pump. But for this to work your main drain valve would have to be 50% or more open.

I am not a fan of floating diverters and have found them (for me).. to only be about 70% reliable.. I would not trust them to work if my life were on the line... :mrgreen:

I just see them as unnecessary for most users...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jimrahloe, you are correct, my Hayward skimmer has two holes, one is sealed. Only one return.
My main drain return do have a valve on the pad, and is left 50% open by the pool builder, and I just left it that way.
At first I thought it was a neat idea that the pool builder skip out on me. I didn't realize that the floating diverter were not as reliable.
Good to know : ) It looks like it might be easier just to make sure the water is above the plaster line.

Thank you.

The perfect water level is about in the middle of the waterline tile or slightly higher...

I have three saltwater pools that, in total, are over 25 years old.. In all that time none of my skimmers have ever run dry.. It could happen, if there was a major leak, or something similar, but that is unlikely if you just pay a little attention to your pool every few days.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.