Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've got a Hayward wide mouth skimmer on my new above ground pool. When the pump is running all is well (the weir is laying flat and leaves are sucked to the bottom of the basket). When the pump shuts off the weir floats up and over and falls down facing out...dumping all the leaves back into the pool. Anyone have a nice solution for this? Seems to me the weir needs a little flotation as well as a stop that keeps it from reversing directon

1631034000768.png

There is a little rectangle of foam that slides into the tabs on the back of the weir that acts as a flotation device. My experience is that every so often it works its way loose. Most of the time I find it jammed in my skimmer basket when that does happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: cznkane
For what it's worth there's a space on the back that I have to guess should have foam in it (like this)...will foam properly installed here keep if from reversing all the way out and dumping the leaves?

1631034333273.png

There is a little rectangle of foam that slides into the tabs on the back of the weir that acts as a flotation device. My experience is that ever so often it works its way loose. Most of the time I find it jammed in my skimmer basket when that does happen.
Thank you, I guessed that was what that slot was for. Brand new build, no foam present, added to the list of "close but not quite" for my installer. (eyeroll)

For what it's worth there's a space on the back that I have to guess should have foam in it (like this)...will foam properly installed here keep if from reversing all the way out and dumping the leaves?

View attachment 370593

Yes, when there is no suction it causes the weir door to float upright. The suction pulls it down flat.

It's not the tightest fit, so don't be too hard on your pool builder for this one. Mine comes loose on its own every so often.

Yes, when there is no suction it causes the weir door to float upright. The suction pulls it down flat.

It's not the tightest fit, so don't be too hard on your pool builder for this one. Mine comes loose on its own every so often.
That makes sense to me, should it also fall all the way out forward (opposite of when suction is on)? I assumed there should be some kind of limiting to perfectly upright but not past (toward the pool)...maybe not though?

That makes sense to me, should it also fall all the way out forward (opposite of when suction is on)? I assumed there should be some kind of limiting to perfectly upright but not past (toward the pool)...maybe not though?

There is no built in stop that I have ever seen. Without the float, the door flops back and forth.

I take my weir door out when I use my suction side vacuum. Maybe some people like to just tip it forward? No idea.

There is no built in stop that I have ever seen. Without the float, the door flops back and forth.

I take my weir door out when I use my suction side vacuum. Maybe some people like to just tip it forward? No idea.
Appreciate it, I'm going to get some foam stuck in there and see if that helps. Thanks again!

My skimmer has a stop (tab) to prevent the weir door from moving past vertical. You can see it in this picture

1631137269043.png

Vinyl pools appear to be different in that aspect.

My skimmer has a stop (tab) to prevent the weir door from moving past vertical. You can see it in this picture

View attachment 370844

Vinyl pools appear to be different in that aspect.
I wonder if it is for hooking up a vacuum. On my skimmer the door is very close to the basket. When the door swings in, it overlaps the basket slightly. On the above, it looks like it could lay flat an not hit the basket. If you are trying to hook something up to the skimmer suction on a short skimmer, you would either have to tip the door forwards into the pool, or remove it entirely (which is what usually do)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.