Skimmer weir door sticking

hb-

Jun 11, 2017
Travelers Rest, SC
The door is a standard Pentair door it's an older part 8650-4 (Pentair 08650-0022 Sta-Rite U-3 Skimmer Weir Assembly for Pools - is the current equivalent I can find)

The dimensions match the new ones available approximately 8 3/8 inches wide.

My problem is that the skimmer housing seems to be bowing inward and scraping so that the Door will not float freely.

I realize the long-term solution is to take apart and fix the skimmer housing itself but I am wondering if I sand or shave off the edges does anyone know if this thing is hollow or has a piece of foam inside it? I probably need to take off about 1/16 to 1/32 an inch to prevent the rubbing.

Any advice or similar experience appreciated!

I had same issue
I had to pull it out then grind down.
Try to look how you pinch something to free it. There are pin like ends the stick into a recess. Don’t lose the floatation foam in the door. It needs that to work

hb

this is definitely a process where you need to measure the best you can, then sand w an orbital sander or the like. A grinder might take too much too fast and make it irregular. Also, go to your other skimmer and see what the delta is btw weir door and skimmer body. You'll need to make sure you have the same or a bit more so your door does not run the risk of locking up again sooner than you want.

Glad you got the issue resolved.

Not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread but my weir door occasionally sticks shut (always happens when people in pool and causing waves).

The weir door gets stuck on the tab that I assume is meant to keep the weird door from opening towards the pool side. The door will wedge itself under the tab and stick closed. Can I sand down the tab so that the weir door swings both ways or is that a no-no? If the latter, is there a part readily available to make the tab @1/2" longer so that the weir door can't get stuck under the tab? Thanks!

Not sure I think the point of the tab is to let things in and prevent them from coming out.

I would try to make the tab longer, or see if your assembly has a way to adjust the height.

You could just extend the tab perhaps. Duct tape or epoxy a small piece of plastic onto the tab?

Sanding it down worked fine with some 20 grit paper, on both sides in the spot it was rubbing. After taking off probably 1/16 an inch it didn't break through to the inside. Gotta love older plastic it's thick.

Door moves freely now!

Great! Mind if I ask how you got the skimmer weir out? Did you have to remove the screws or did it have spring pins?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.