Skimmer suction valve leak underground? Pool pump not priming (update: fixed)

Easy fix 20 minutes.
Thanks. Couple last questions:

1. If and when I am successful at repairing the broken line when can I start using that skimmer line to suction again? How soon after gluing am I able to use the line?

2. What is the best way to backfill into the hole so this type of damage doesn't happen again?

Thanks. Couple last questions:

1. If and when I am successful at repairing the broken line when can I start using that skimmer line to suction again? How soon after gluing am I able to use the line?

2. What is the best way to backfill into the hole so this type of damage doesn't happen again?

I would let the PVC glue dry at least an hour or so. I have used it sooner. Not sure what caused the damage. Could have been freeze or the line might have been under stress from the beginning and finally broke. I would backfill with just dirt and whatever came out of the hole.

Easiest way to cut that PVC pipe is going to be a sawsall. But if that is not an option you could do it very slowly with any kind of hand saw like a backsaw (not a hacksaw!). Hacksaw blades will tend to wander and you won't get a straight cut with them. Specialized PVC cutters are hard to use above ground. Whatever method you choose it is a good idea to mark around where you will cut with a sharpie so you have guidelines all the way around the pipe.

I would let the PVC glue dry at least an hour or so. I have used it sooner. Not sure what caused the damage. Could have been freeze or the line might have been under stress from the beginning and finally broke. I would backfill with just dirt and whatever came out of the hole.

Easiest way to cut that PVC pipe is going to be a sawsall. But if that is not an option you could do it very slowly with any kind of hand saw like a backsaw (not a hacksaw!). Hacksaw blades will tend to wander and you won't get a straight cut with them. Specialized PVC cutters are hard to use above ground. Whatever method you choose it is a good idea to mark around where you will cut with a sharpie so you have guidelines all the way around the pipe.
I was able to fix it!
Here are some pics.
When I glued the 90 to the vertical pipe, the 90 was higher than the horizontal pipe and I was unable to complete the repair. Instead of putting a union I just cut another section of the vertical pipe and insert a coupling.
There's no leaking and pump is able to suction from shallow skimmer with no indication of air.
Stupid quetion; is it better to backfill the dirt when it's wet or dry? Don't want to put to much stress on the pipes.
Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: blazer58
Nice repair.
I do not think it matters if dirt is wet or dry.
If dry you might want to water it down to help quicken the settling.
Just make sure you have it filled good under the piping

Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.