Skimmer Socks vs. Knee Highs

Speaking of which - I just had the opposite problem. Even though, I read WB's review on the inferior performance of kneehighs to skimmer socks, I bought a package of kneehigh stockings this weekend and thought I'd try it.

I couldn't get the kneehighs to stretch enough for my skimmer basket. ripped them to shreds, trying.

Re: Interesting

MikeInTN said:
mrspock said:
What kind of stuff are you getting out? What size? I am curious. I am well pleased using knee-highs. I think it matters what kind of stuff is around your pool. Grass is bad, leaves are bed, bugs are bad. My knee high catch little black ants. You would have to catch really fine stuff that be smaller than that. I hardly ever have any thing in the pump basket.

I think the size of knee-hight is important as well. If you use petite vs women's / plus size, that would be big difference, as more stretching is involved. Also, the skimmer basket size has a play in it. Obviously the bigger the basket, the more stretching. If you use small knee-hights on big basket, you definitely would see performance issues. I bbelievethat the skimmer socks are designed to not have to sstretchas much. I would be curious to see diameters of baskets posted with size of knee-highs of those who aren't seeing good results with knee-hights.

The consensus generally is that uusingsomething is better than uusingnothing.

If your pressure goes down significantly, something is definitely wrong, whatever you are using.

My skimmer socks catch all the big stuff of course - leaves, bugs, etc. , but it also catches pollen, small plant matter, and i'm guessing just plain old dirt/dust. the pollen/dirt/dust collects where the water flows through the basket, so I get a greenish/blackish/brownish checkerboard pattern on the sock which I hose off. I'll try to take a picture either tonight or tomorrow night to show you what it catches.

Here's the pictures I promised. This is after two days of filtering, 12 hours a day. I had already dumped out the large debris (leaves and pine needles, mainly).

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Yep, same kind of stull that skimmer socks collect for me that the Knee Highs don't! I don't get a lot of big stuff in the pool since I have a screen enclosure but the small stuff gets through it!

All,

Sorry it took so long for me to punch back in, but I was on vacation. Went to Ozzfest otherwise nothing too interesting.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route. I realized I had not cleaned out my Diatomaceous earth filter in a while, so I decided to do just that. Once done, I put the skimmer sock back on and noticed no increase in the PSI. The only assumption I can come up with is; that my filter was teadering on the verge of exhaustion and a slightly dirty sock pushed it over the edge. Sorry if I confused anyone!

In short, I know love the skimmer socks!

Craig

I have been trying the knee highs since I haven't been able to find skimmer socks anywhere around here. They work pretty well for me. I find they fit better and stay in place just as well if I cut the top elastic band off the knee high. What I have been doing is tying a knot in the middle of the knee high, then I cut it below the knot, and also cut the top elastic band off. That gives me 2 skimmer socks from one knee high. I have a small skimmer basket, tho, so this might not work if you have a larger one.

tlbb said:
Ok. This might sound really stupid but how do you attach a knee-high to the skimmer? Could someone possibly show me a picture? My pool store doesn't sell them, but I might try the knee-high thing. Thanks.

What I do is place the toe of the knee high in the basket, then stretch the elastic part of the knee high over the top of the basket. This way stuff gets trapped down in the knee high as well as along the top portion. Works great for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't imagine what our pool would like without the skimmer screens/socks! :shock: Our ps sells them for about $10 for 3-pk. WalMart close in price....when they have them. Having only one usable skimmer, 3 socks will last all season.

For those of you who can't find them, perhaps this will help: AquaChem has a site where you can find "Where To Buy" button here:

http://www.aquachem.com/products/specia ... mmers.html

Joyce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.