Skimmer Sock

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I’m thinking about getting and using a skimmer sock. I’ve done some reading and I am leaning toward just using the basic hair net that are about 100 for $10 from Amazon. Not so much looking to be frugal, but my reading doesn’t seem to indicate any other product works any better. Opinions welcome.

However, my question is more about how they work. It seems like they would just clog up the system further upstream. My interest comes from it being cottonwood season here and while I’d like a better solution to keep that stuff out of my system, it seems like it would just clog up a skimmer sock - then what happens? Is there some kind of bypass when the sock gets clogged up?

I had too many oak trees at my old house. I would have gone through 8 socks a day. We are on a mostly open field now and I’m looking forward to using them.

there are so many helpful ideas at TFP, but i think the use of hairnets in the skimmer is one of the top 10. I bought the case of 1000 and cant believe i'm over halfway through it. I sometimes use 2 or 3 a day at the beginning and end of the season but in the middle maybe one every several days. Cant imagine not using them now. so much easier and keeps a lot of stuff out of the filter.

there are so many helpful ideas at TFP, but i think the use of hairnets in the skimmer is one of the top 10. I bought the case of 1000 and cant believe i'm over halfway through it. I sometimes use 2 or 3 a day at the beginning and end of the season but in the middle maybe one every several days. Cant imagine not using them now. so much easier and keeps a lot of stuff out of the filter.
Love this idea. Would you mind posting a link to the kind you bought?

Just go on Amazon and search for hair nets. I was surprised that a lot of them had in their description that they are perfect for pool filters. Cross marketing at its finest.

I got this one:

Reactions: Snoobug and wgipe
$38 = about 4 cents per net. Now they seem to be running around 8 cents per net. Still, way better than me spraying my basket clean. Just grab the net, dispose of it and put in a new one. They might go back down in price at some point went things settle down from COVID.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$38 = about 4 cents per net. Now they seem to be running around 8 cents per net. Still, way better than me spraying my basket clean. Just grab the net, dispose of it and put in a new one. They might go back down in price at some point went things settle down from COVID.
Just ordered the ones you linked. Cheap at twice the price.

Reactions: pb4uswim
My pool is about to be filled with palm tree pollen/seeds from my neighbors trees, this seems like a great idea to keep the stuff out of my pump. Thanks!

I have been using old stockings when I vacuum, cause I get a lot of leaves so afraid to use on a skimmer - BUT, I can tell you, cut my filter cleaning to almost nil. I cut a length double the basket, tie a knot on one end, wrap the stocking around the basket, then tie a knot to the other end and push into the basket. One is reusable for the year.

I have 5 or 6 skimmer socks - not hairnets, not old stockings, but actual skimmer socks made for a skimmer. When they get clogged up, I put them on the railing of the deck and spray them with the hose. Takes about 30 seconds to clean all of them at once. I don't see what the big deal with cleaning them is. If I used more than two a day during the dirty season, I think I would just buy more real ones rather than a "throw away" product. Now that most of the tree stuff has fallen I stop using them. Depending on the situation I also use a slime bag to filter. Skimmer socks get out the larger stuff, and that keeps my filter from getting clogged up too fast, then the filter takes care of most everything else, but to really "polish" the water I let the pool settle and the vacuum with a slime bag on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.