Skimmer seems to be half-installed?

essbase

Dec 2, 2020
Sarasota Florida
Looks like the skimmer on my new pool is not "entombed" in concrete. From reading numerous posts and watching videos on skimmer replacements, it appears it should be fully encased in concrete. Seems the Gunite crew only partially cover it and its hollow further up along side the skimmer. There are a couple of pieces of rebar hanging out. I have attached a couple pictures and a video that shows the underside. Haven't brought this up with the builder yet. I wanted to get an opinion from the formun. Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge! Click here for Video of the Underside

Front.jpgboard left.jpg

Yes it can be corrected, your concerns are the skimmer settling due to improper backfill to support the skimmer weight. Most all skimmers are completely suspended in air until Shotcrete and then the cavity is completely filled as one against unspoiled earth. It’s the void at the bottom of the skimmer that needs proper backfill.

Yes the Gunite crew are responsible for the forms, I wouldn’t have anything “chipped out” but only have loose material removed by hand so not to move the skimmer in any way. It can be hand packed with cement material to make it support the skimmer.

Last edited:
Yes the Gunite crew are responsible for the forms, I wouldn’t have anything “chipped out” but only have loose material removed by hand so not to move the skimmer in any way. It can be hand packed with cement material to make it support the skimmer.
What should they hand pack with? Is this regular mix, hydraulic, or something else. Thanks again for sharing your expertise. It’s tough to know the right questions to ask and what to watch out for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at the photos provided it looks like the skimmer is the only thing needing support because the wall of the pool below the skimmer is solid. That being said, all you need is a mortar mix that can support the weight of the skimmer and the Gunite that’s all ready bonded to the skimmer. This mixture will have no impact on the strength of the shell it’s only to keep the skimmer from any movement/settlement in the future.

Looking at the photos provided it looks like the skimmer is the only thing needing support because the wall of the pool below the skimmer is solid. That being said, all you need is a mortar mix that can support the weight of the skimmer and the Gunite that’s all ready bonded to the skimmer. This mixture will have no impact on the strength of the shell it’s only to keep the skimmer from any movement/settlement in the future.
Thanks... Did you see the video of the underside? Will they be able to get it up in there? Here are a few screenshots. The Youtube frame seems not to work in the post... Thanks Again!

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 13
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
If given this task to accomplish I would mix my cement on the dry side so it would hold its shape and position, then I would start at the bottom of the form work that I would have all ready in place (like in the picture I provided earlier made out of drywall) and work in stair steps with the final layer being the void that surrounds the skimmer. This could take hours depending on how well the bottom layers can support the cement above it. Do not allow any filler like broken bricks or concrete to be used due to it will settle inside the concrete mix and may leave voids. Hope this helps explain one way to correct this situation,Ray

If given this task to accomplish I would mix my cement on the dry side so it would hold its shape and position, then I would start at the bottom of the form work that I would have all ready in place (like in the picture I provided earlier made out of drywall) and work in stair steps with the final layer being the void that surrounds the skimmer. This could take hours depending on how well the bottom layers can support the cement above it. Do not allow any filler like broken bricks or concrete to be used due to it will settle inside the concrete mix and may leave voids. Hope this helps explain one way to correct this situation,Ray
Thanks so much for your help Ray!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.