Skimmer return port

v1k1ng421

Dec 16, 2021
Las Vegas
Hello everyone. I have a question about the skimmer setup of my in-ground pool. There is a skimmer suction port at the bottom of the skimmer and there is also a port at the bottom of the skimmer that opens directly sideways into the pool. Since there isn't a second open port in the bottom of the skimmer, I assume that the sideways port is for equalization purposes. There is also a return port at the bottom of my skimmer opposite the open sideways port. If I open the skimmer return valve at my pump setip, return water from the filter will flow out the return port in the bottom of the skimmer, sideways through the bottom of the skimmer basket (if installed), and out the side port into the pool. What is the purpose of this skimmer return port (there are three normal return jets and pop-up floor returns in my pool)?

Edit* Russel/Toxo has a better answer below.

A skimmer should feature 2 openings. One is an equalizer (closest to pool wall usually) and the other is the suction port.

What you've described is not typical. There should not be a "skimmer return" at your pad. Only a skimmer intake. If water is flowing backwards into your pool from the suction line, we'll need to rule out leaks and/or improper plumbing.

Can you provide a photo of the interior your skimmer and your equipment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118-092838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118-092838_Chrome.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's called a venturi skimmer. The flow of return water across the bottom from a nozzle creates added suction on the skimmer, or, at least that's the advertised claim of those skimmers. I have one and off or on makes little difference. Mine just stays closed.

Venturi Skimmer.png

Reactions: HermanTX
It's called a venturi skimmer. The flow of return water across the bottom from a nozzle creates added suction on the skimmer, or, at least that's the advertised claim of those skimmers. I have one and off or on makes little difference. Mine just stays closed.
Interesting. Thanks for the education.
Never seen or heard of one in 10 years of doing this. Classic geographic ignorance!

Interesting. Thanks for the education.
Never seen or heard of one in 10 years of doing this. Classic geographic ignorance!
If you never hear of them again, you are probably better off :) Good idea, but added plumbing for little benefit, in my opinion. I think most of that 50% advertised just recirculates to pump.

• Haha
Reactions: bradgray
It's called a venturi skimmer.
Thanks so much for the insight; I've had zero luck until now finding out what my setup is. It must be pretty rare; another professional pool guy I asked didn't know what it was, and the first guy I hired to maintain my pool after I moved here didn't even realize there was a return jet in my skimmer even after I asked him about the skimmer return valve. I was also mistaken about the placement of the skimmer return jet. It's actually located just below the skimmer basket as is the equalization port just like in the pic you posted. Since what I thought was the equalization port is actually the return port for the venturi and the second port in the bottom of my skimmer is closed off, does that mean that I don't actually have a normal equalization port, or is the venturi return port supposed to fill both roles?
Can you provide a photo of the interior your skimmer and your equipment?
Here are a couple of pics of my setup. You can see that I have a valve labeled "skimmer return". The skimmer pic shows the return port on the side opposite the equalization port.

skimmer return valve.jpgskimmer.jpg

It's my understanding that the function of an equalizer port, and not all skimmers will be equipped, is a feature to allow water to be drawn from lower equalizer opening in pool (or to main drain) if water level dropped or basket/skimmer obstructed . But, in order to function, there's more parts to it, as in a float and diverter valve plate. Bout as much as I know, as it was one of those "other" skimmer arrangements when looking up mine and fall under rules on entrapment hazard, covers, etc... that maybe someone with more knowledge of them can explain. But, for all intent and purposes, yours is as should be for what it is and intended to be.

That nozzle you see in the return port is supposed to "jet" across to the pool return port and create a "venturi" action, pulling water down from top on its way across. "If" it can overcome the suction of the skimmer suction port and not just go right back to the pump. Mine's plumbed like yours, skimmer suction on the more forward opening. Maybe they require the back port. Who knows. All I know is that full open of skimmer return and full closed look exactly the same on water draw over basket for me. According to the advert, volume should double! I didn't know or ask for it, but I got one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.