Tipp City Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello! I've been lurking for a while and researching as much as I can. A bit of background: I am a homeowner getting ready to have a fiberglass pool installed. I'm working with a concrete contractor that is a good friend of mine to perform the installation so no PB to really speak of. With that said... let the games (questions) begin:

Attached is a diagram of the pool (with prevailing winds labeled). A bit of details (some not yet in my profile since I haven't purchased components):
- 13,000 gallons
- 16x40
- 5'10 in the deep end
- tanning ledge is 1' deep
- no main drain
- planning on an automatic cover
- Planning on a pentair 3hp VSP
- Planning on a pentair cartridge filter
- Planning on a (tbd) gas heater
- Planning on a pentair SWCG

* What would be the optimal placement for the single skimmer?
* How many returns should I consider? (the dealer I'm getting the pool from is including 12 which seems high considering other posts I've seen)
* What sort of positioning might be optimal for the returns considering the above? Is there an issue with having returns on the tanning ledge? (The manufacturer indicates that returns are typically installed 14" below the top unless otherwise specified)

This has been a long-time goal of mine and I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.

Attachments

• 1640 No Labels.png
    1640 No Labels.png
    54 KB · Views: 22
Hi, welcome to TFP! I think it would be good to have at least 1 return on the tanning ledge to make sure water is well circulated. Generally you want the skimmer to be on the recieving end of the prevailing winds, but according to your drawing that is where the tanning ledge is located. Any chance of flipping the pool 180? If you have a lot of airborn debris its all going to end up on your tanning ledge if the winds are strong enough. If you have light breezes then the returns should be able to compensate and push debris toward the skimmer.

Reactions: clambert1273
Unfortunately, flipping the pool 180 isn't feasible for us. Our winds here aren't typically very strong (the backyard is fairly sheltered by the fence and some trees) so hopefully the returns can compensate as you indicate. Would you think having the skimmer located on the lower portion of the drawing (maybe the midpoint) be a good location? And then have returns cycling water clockwise with potentially 2 returns on the tanning ledge somewhat near the corners?

the dealer indicated that a 2nd skimmer will void the warranty.
Whose warranty, the dealer's or the manufacturer's?

They are just making things up.

There is no reason that a second skimmer would or should void a warranty.

That's just nonsense.

Why would it void the warranty?

If you can have one skimmer, you can have two.

That was my thought as well. I'm trying to tread lightly because coordinating this pool (even to acquire the shell through the dealer) has been difficult given the pool industry boom due to covid. I have submitted the question to the manufacturer and will report back when I have a response. As for whose warranty - I'm sure he's referring to the manufacturer because I just read the contract and they are providing materials only and any warranty is via the manufacturer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And as you suspected, here was the response I received from one of their sales managers just now: "Absolutely not ! putting 2 skimmers doesn't affect the warranty. "

So a few follow up questions:
* Any particular manufacturer or model you might recommend? The contract states the pool comes with one. And I happen to know that the pool manufacturer will only ship 1 per pool at this time so I cannot get a 2nd identical skimmer.
* Considering 2 skimmers, what might be recommended placement for them as well as the returns?

Any thoughts on the updated diagram? Red represents skimmers, blue represents returns. I didn't know if it would be best to place both skimmers on the same side as the diagram shows, or one on the opposite side.

Attachments

• post2.png
    post2.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.