Skimmer replacement

SamsIam

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
Arlington, TX
I am curious if anyone knows what it takes to replace an inground pool skimmer. I have a neighbor with an Oak Tree that appears to have roots that have cracked my deck and now is impeding on my skimmer. The skimmer is caving in a bit, has cracked and now my pool is leaking. I am going to have to deal with the tree but I was wondering what it takes to do the skimmer. Do they have to cut into the deck? If so, I suspect I would coordinate a tree service while the skimmer is being replaced so they can get to the root systems that are causing this issue.

thanks

Sounds bad Scott. I would start with a root barrier at the fence line. As a courtesy, let your neighbor know the damage and what you are about to do as it will weaken the tree on that side if it is fairly close. Would it be possible to use some sealant on the skimmer crack rather than replace? Or is the damage to great? i.e. broken pipes etc. Once the roots are cut they will eventually die and decay relieving the pressure - although it might take several years.

Thanks,
I definitely plan to let him know since I will also be trimming the tree as well on my fence line. Great source of shade in the pool but it is just too much to deal with form all the falling leaves. One thing I don't know is if there is breaks below where I can see them. My deck goes to my back fence (maybe a 4-6" gap from deck to fence) and his tree is probably 6-8' from the fence on his side so it is maybe 10' from trunk of tree to drain. It is an Oak tree that is probably 30' tall. I will see if I can post some pictures later on.

You have to cut a hole in the deck and then remove the bad skimmer. Dig down to expose the pipes and then put a new skimmer in. Then try to patch the deck.

Given your deck is fairly narrow, you might consider removing an entire section so the repair is less noticeable in the deck surface. This would also allow you better access to the tree roots.

That tree has likely got roots wrapped around any pipes in the area and against the pool structure. You might consider removing more of the deck and getting a root barrier down along the entire fence line. I am surprised that the deck hasn't had more damage with the tree that close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update here. Finally got on the guys schedule to replace my skimmer. I had a tree service scheduled out the same day so they could survey the ground once the deck was cut into. Shockingly there was not a root insight save one about the thickness of my pinky - if that. So what ever buckled the deck was not a root or at least not one that can be seen. Now I have to address the topside of the tree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.