Skimmer Placement for Best Circulation?

Jul 20, 2018
AZ
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Greetings from the Sonoran D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]esert, in southern AZ.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I’ve just set up a Bestway 9x18 ft AGP. I’m using an Intex sand filter and pump with a turnover rate of 1600 gal per hour.
I’m about to install the skimmer, a Pentair hydro-skim.
Before installing the skimmer I’d love some input regarding its placement.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This pool has a single return and two “outs” to the pump (don’t know the proper name for those two). They are all 3 on the same side of the pool and I’m thinking I’ll dedicate one of those “outs” to the vacuum.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I have 2 questions: [/FONT][/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Can I expect better circulation by installing the skimmer on the opposite side of the pool from the return rather than inline with the existing outs?[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Is it advantageous to use both an existing “out” and the skimmer simultaneously?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I appreciate your input!

[/FONT]5F9AC2DC-0D6C-4685-8C60-B85902166A50.jpg[/FONT]

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Many folks decide to upgrade and install an aftermarket skimmer. I think you'll find it to be a very good modification that will provide surface debris collection to help keep the pool much cleaner. Using one of the suction ports for a vacuum is a good idea as well. Or ………. here's another thought ….. after you install the skimmer, split your return line hose into two return jets for better water circulation.

Oh, and since you will be cutting to install that wide mouth skimmer, you might consider the placement of your pool and typical wind direction. I know the winds can change at times, but usually you have a consistent breeze right? If you can, place the skimmer at the end where there wind will blow the surface debris into it. It makes a difference. If the skimmer is opposite the wind direction, the wind will push leaves and dust away from the skimmer. Hopefully you can adjust the return jet(s) to where they encourage water to flow towards that new skimmer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your reply Texas Splash. I like the idea of splitting the return. Would you keep the additional “out” operational as an “out” after installing the skimmer or use only the skimmer to move water to the pump?
Regarding skimmer placement, I understand the importance of factoring in the wind. This still leaves me some placement options and I’m wondering if installing it far away or close to the return is recommended?
Thanks!

If I had to chose between the two, I would opt for an additional return jet to improve circulation. You can always connect your vacuum to the new skimmer directly. As for skimmer placement, we generally see the skimmer opposite the return jets, but this is not always possible either due to the shape of the pool, equipment placement, or aftermarket issues. Based on your prevailing wind direction, the skimmer might be better suited to a location you never considered. In many cases, people have their pool installed and the last thing anyone ever considered was the skimmer placement since it's usually in the deep end for inground pools. I got lucky. After mine was dropped in I realized 9 times out of 10 the wind blows from left to right (shallow to deep) directly to my skimmer. Sure helps to catch junk before is sinks. Not a fool proof thing, and perhaps not every owner can have that ability, but figured I'd throw it out there for consideration. Either way, the skimmer is a great upgrade.

Thanks again Texas Splash!
I’ve decided to use one of those as a second return and install the skimmer across from the returns. I’ll just vacuum from the skimmer as I did in my previous pool. I plan to hard plumb it all, so I’ll do it all at the same time.
Right now my dogs are begging for a swim, so off I go to supervise!
I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.