Hagefamily

Jun 4, 2012
Live uphill from another house which a new neighbor just moved into. At our first meeting he complained that my passive skimmer overflow (no pump) was draining down into his yard.

Obviously I want to keep the peace with all my neighbors so thinking of how to address this situation.

Thinking about just digging down 3 feet from where the pipe comes out, fill a round former with river rock and have it drain down into the soil. I assume that wouldn’t go back towards the pool nor would cause a future mudslide/sinkhole situation, right?!?

Other thought was similar but run the pipe down the hill towards the corner tree. Problem is the current PVC 1 inch gets clogged at least once a year. Even if I adapt to a larger PVC pipe, how would I ensure no blockage for That entire length?

Wondering if my other neighbors could complain that a drainage hole is too close to the property line too. Not sure about zoning rules for this type of work.

Pictures attached. Feel free to ask questions. Appreciate your advice/experience!!!

E2928701-A220-4A40-B4CA-43FBBB4C8CBD.jpeg945920B9-9A2C-4228-8BF3-EA13519452F7.jpeg7A11DE99-4016-4E02-A9BB-B82D25158CC6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have gutters on your home? Do they connect to a drain system? Can you connect to that if available?
If that picture with the mud at the fence line is the issue then I would side with the neighbor that something should be changed.
Can you consider a French drain to go to some other area?

Do you have gutters on your home? Do they connect to a drain system? Can you connect to that if available?
If that picture with the mud at the fence line is the issue then I would side with the neighbor that something should be changed.
Can you consider a French drain to go to some other area?
Gutters are uphill from the pool so not a great option.

The mud and general water flow into the yard is the issue. Had the pool installed in 2014 but the prior neighbor had no issue with the water but I think there must be a better solution anyway.

Isn’t a French drain basically just a dug out pit with rocks for the water to flow into?

The mud and general water flow into the yard is the issue. Had the pool installed in 2014 but the prior neighbor had no issue with the water but I think there must be a better solution anyway.

Isn’t a French drain basically just a dug out pit with rocks for the water to flow into?
A French drain is a buried bunch of aggregate and a drain pipe which directs water away from where you want it. You want a 4” PVC drain, not 1”. Just digging a hole will take up some small amounts of water, but extended rain will fill it up and you’ll get just what you have now.

How much does your skimmer overflow? Seems that would be a minor amount.

A French drain is a buried bunch of aggregate and a drain pipe which directs water away from where you want it. You want a 4” PVC drain, not 1”. Just digging a hole will take up some small amounts of water, but extended rain will fill it up and you’ll get just what you have now.

How much does your skimmer overflow? Seems that would be a minor amount.
Minimal except when we get torrential rains and flood alerts which no amount of French drain would solve either. :)

How about hiring a landscape engineer to install a wet garden there where the water drains out from to see if the plantings wouldn't absorb most of the water?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: ShallowWater
What's your general location ? Here we just dig down 4 to 8 ft to hit sand, then fill the hole back in with gravel.

What's the soil like locally ?

How about hiring a landscape engineer to install a wet garden there where the water drains out from to see if the plantings wouldn't absorb most of the water?

Maddie :flower:
I like this idea..

If this doesn't work it sounds like a sump pump is required to get the water up to gravity drain with your roof drainage.

Draining into the neighbor's yard is never a good idea unless it is continuation of a natural water course.

If this wet area is strictly caused by your pool runoff, then I would hire a landscape design professional to evaluate what can be done. What happens in a big rainstorm? it appears all rainwater would also run down to this area from the lawn. So this could be a issue even before the pool was put in.
Do you have a overflow line for the pool or is it simply the water flowing out of the skimmer or over the coping?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If this wet area is strictly caused by your pool runoff, then I would hire a landscape design professional to evaluate what can be done. What happens in a big rainstorm? it appears all rainwater would also run down to this area from the lawn. So this could be a issue even before the pool was put in.
Do you have an overflow line for the pool or is it simply the water flowing out of the skimmer or over the coping?
It’s all coming from the skimmer that has a hole in the back with a 1 inch PVC attached.

It’s all coming from the skimmer that has a hole in the back with a 1 inch PVC attached.

What if you plugged that hole and just let your pool fill? Does a single rain have enough water to overflow it? That would be a serious downpour like 8" all at once. For my pool, I use a pump to remove excess water from rain and can direct it wherever I want. Sounds like you have an overflow at the water level for self draining in the event of rain that continues to drain after the rain stops.

Yes. Slowly goes out overflow which over time leads to a lot of water.
Rain filling the pool would also put water everywhere else so the pool is not really the issue. I’d agree you need a landscaper (or yourself) to figure out how manage rain water in your backyard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.