Jan 23, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello,
I have a Doughboy pool with the proprietary Doughboy skimmer. I like the skimmer because it is very big and has a very big basket. I replaced all the hoses last year with 1 1/2 in. PVC pipe. I plan to increase the size of pipe to 2 in. this year. The problem with the Doughboy skimmer is that they come only with a tailpiece which is a hose barb and no way to connect pipe via pipe threads. Currently I make the connection using an adapter and a fernco fitting which is not made for a year's worth of sunlight or the chemicals. They tend to get brittle. I am considering making a modification to the bottom of the skimmer by drilling the tailpiece out and installing a 2 in. threaded bulkhead fitting. That way I will have a complete connection not reduced at the tailpiece. My concern is about possibly weakening the skimmer by doing this. I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it or has any thoughts on doing it. I have searched the internet for months and not found this anywhere. I attached a picture of a Doughboy skimmer tailpiece and a bulkhead fitting I am considering using. I am aware of a glue on fitting made by Doughboy but have not found a pool store that has them. I also spoke to a Doughboy rep who said they are not currently making them.

Attachments

• 20210126_105345.jpg
    20210126_105345.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210126_105419.jpg
    20210126_105419.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210126_105407.jpg
    20210126_105407.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 10
Come back and show some pictures if it works, may help someone else :)
I absolutely will. I'm not sure if I will do it because I didn't want to be the first. My major concern would be weakening the skimmer body because it requires a 3-inch hole to install a 2in bulkhead. I was hoping someone else may have some insight or done it...

I do not think it will weaken it, it will make it much stronger with that adapter... if you use a normal 1.5 inch threaded adapter you could use a 1.5 inch high temp union to connect it to ta 2 inch pipe and be good to go :)

I do not think it will weaken it, it will make it much stronger with that adapter... if you use a normal 1.5 inch threaded adapter you could use a 1.5 inch high temp union to connect it to ta 2 inch pipe and be good to go :)

Thank you cowboycasey. The 1.5" would require a smaller hole, but might cause some restriction. I'm not sure...
I cant find the same thing in 2".

not at all, that is exactly what all pools use :) You can connect 4 inch pipe to that 1.5 inch if you wanted but 2 inch will be fine, I have it on my pool.. :)

Reactions: JKB121
not at all, that is exactly what all pools use :) You can connect 4 inch pipe to that 1.5 inch if you wanted but 2 inch will be fine, I have it on my pool.. :)
I am still a couple of months away from good weather here but when I get to that point I will post some pictures so I can close the loop on this thread.

Those type of bulkhead fittings are available from farm supply stores. From 1/2" pipe up to 6" pipe.

That is the type of fitting that we use on bulk tanks on trucks hauling water or liquid fertilizer to sprayers and seeders in the field.

Here's a bunch at TSC: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/bulkhead fitting?

Andrew

Reactions: cowboycasey
Reactions: Andrew_D
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.