Skimmer may not work properly

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
I have two skimmers. The one at the shallow end works fine, and picks up lots of pine needles. The one on the deep end picks up less. I closely looked at two skimmers. I can see the water gets into the shallow end one creating the ripples. But for the other one, the ripples come and go. Sometimes you even couldn't notice the water movement. Is that something normal? Thanks.

Well that blows my idea out.........

Do you have pics of your build? like of the pipes laid out?

Okay so try this-close the "better" skimmer's valve a bit and see what happens to the other skimmer.

Do you have to weir doors on each skimmer?

Kim:kim:

Just did a quick test. I closed main drain. The filter pressure was 18 psi. I started to close skimmer valve on at a time, the pressure dropped to 14-15 psi both times. I didn't see crazy pressure drop. Is this much pressure drop normal?

i also noticed once I closed main drain, there will be some air bubble under pump lid. Open the valve, air bubble gone. Is that valve going bad?

thanks.

What hopefully happened is one of your skimmers got too low and started to suck air in. Next time you try that pull the lids off both skimmers and check the water level.

I'd try what Kim was suggesting. Keep the main drain open and close off the good skimmer. Then open it up to the point the flow looks the same in both.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spent the past several days looking into this. Here is the summary:

both skimmers are working. But the one on the shallow end further away from the pump collects about 70-80% of leaves and pine needles. The rest 20% goes to the deep end one closer to the pump.

i have three separate valve in front of pump. I shut off the main drain. The pressure stays same at 18psi. Then I close one for the skimmer. The pressure dropped to 14-15psi. The same happened on the other one. So I would assume there is no blockage. Is that correct?

i am wondering if the return jet position will impact this. Is that a reasonable way to estimate the skimmer flow based on how much junk it collects?

thanks.

It could be a combination of things such as pull from the skimmer to how the returns move the water as well as the wind patterns in your area. I have heard of "flow meters" but am not sure how they work though. It might be something to look into if you really want.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.