Skimmer/Main Drain float diverter question.

ManiacalMama

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Antelope, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Our replaster was just completed yesterday (see that THREAD HERE). Water was done filling a couple hours ago and after a lot of scratching my head I finally got the pump primed. My plaster guy told me to run suction from main drain only until plaster dust is gone. So I closed the gate on my float valve all the way and put it back in the bottom of the skimmer, but there still seems to be A LOT of movement in the skimmer, and I can't tell if it's pulling from the main drain at all. Obviously I've never tried to use the main drain before. :sneaky:

So my question is...should there be some movement in the skimmer with the float diverter closed all the way or should it be completely still in there?

Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of running suction from main drain only until plaster dust is gone. You want to get the plaster dust out as quickly as possible and using all the skimmers gives the best flow. Main drains often don't have a great flow.

If you want to follow your plaster guys advice then don't worry about some flow from the skimmer.

I actually opened the skimmer up a little bit. But I think his reasoning is that you can sweep the dust towards the main drain to help with clearing it a little faster. Plaster is now clearing pretty quickly; I figure a couple more days.

Thanks for your response!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.