Skimmer location in large pool

Gottabewet

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Hudson Vally NY
Hello,

I'm confused about where the ideal location is for skimmers. On my previous 20 x 50 pool, there were 3 skimmers equally spaced on the same wall. On my new 22 x 50 pool currently under construction, the PB is placing two skimmers on one long wall, and one skimmer on the opposite long wall. I inquired and he says this is the best way? Seems very strange to me? I have almost always seen skimmers on rectangle pools to be all on the same wall. Perhaps this is a creative way to get cross directional suction? I attached a picture. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is completely nuts and I'll have them moved.Screenshot_20220825-174332.png

Opposite corners are preferred for the 'toilet bowl' effect, or all pushing the same direction. I don't see the gains in how he is doing it, especially being all deep end and not equally staggered on the wall with 2.

Regardless of where the skimmers go, a gentle breeze is enough to render them useless. Which way are the prevailing winds ? The wind shifts all over but you want it working in your favor more often than not.

Reactions: wireform
Opposite corners are preferred for the 'toilet bowl' effect, or all pushing the same direction. I don't see the gains in how he is doing it, especially being all deep end and not equally staggered on the wall with 2.

Regardless of where the skimmers go, a gentle breeze is enough to render them useless. Which way are the prevailing winds ? The wind shifts all over but you want it working in your favor more often than not.
Thank you for the insight. I didn't know the wind played such a role. Mine will be covered most of the time since I have an auto cover, so wind will not be an issue. I guess I'll leave the skimmers where they are.

Reactions: Newdude
Where will the returns be?

Looking at the position of the skimmers only gives half the picture of how the water may flow.

Prevailing winds have more of an effect on surface water flow than returns and skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.