Skimmer line blocked with stabilizer

May 19, 2016
Boston, MA
I was trying to raise the CYA and added about 2.5 Lbs. stabilizer down the skimmer. I guess I did not do it slow enough and now the skimmer line is completely blocked. There is no suction at all from the skimmer. If I set the pump to skimmer-only, the pump does not suck any water. How do I unclog the skimmer line? It has already been 2 days since I added the stabilizer and the pump had been running continuously with skimmer+main-drain setting (until I changed it to main-drain only this morning).

I have already tried to break down and dissolve the stabilizer sitting in the skimmer and most of that seems to have gone but there is still no suction. Should I try to suck the stabilizer out from the skimmer line using shop vac? Or maybe blow air into the skimmer like we do while closing the pool?

p.s. Even before adding the stabilizer, the suction from the skimmer seemed low compared to last year, but I am not absolute certain about that.

Many thanks!!

Last edited:
I think I would first try pushing water "backwards" from the pump inlet back to the skimmer. Use a garden hose and wrap a rag around it at the pump inlet opening to help with a seal and see if water comes back out the other way at the pool.

if you'd previously had skimmer line issues, good chance this just exacerbated it. You can try a drain king type device and see if it works, but may need to snake it. I had the same issue, just kept getting worse and worse. Tried everything, ended up calling a plumber...

Pat, thanks for your response. I just tried what you suggested and was not able to push the water to the other side, in spite of applying all the pressure I could with a rag, the water splashed back to my side. What do I do next?

I think I would first try pushing water "backwards" from the pump inlet back to the skimmer. Use a garden hose and wrap a rag around it at the pump inlet opening to help with a seal and see if water comes back out the other way at the pool.
My first thought, too.

And if water pressure won't break through, a plumber's snake should.

pressure bladder from either side, or both. I would go back and forth. Speaking from personal experience, unless you've got a really good, broken in snake, call a plumber. Those things are not easy to navigate through 90s and such. Even the pro in my case struggled with a powered auger...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Place your garden hose in the skimmer hole, let the water coming out of the house break down the cya, the hose will be able to be pushed deeper into the hole as the water breaks it down. I suspect your plug is at the bottom connection which is normally a 90 degree elbow.

:whoot: Drain king is king. Just got it delivered from Amazon and within 15 seconds of using it, the line got unclogged.

I used it from the pump side, closing the drain line and keeping only the skimmer line open.

Thanks everyone for your help. TFP rocks :cheers:. Thanks jtpipkin for persuading me to get Drain king itself. I was almost going to get the one available at HomeDepot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.