Skimmer lid blew off, can I epoxy it back together?

jeremystitt

Jun 20, 2021
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hello all -

I went on vacation for a couple weeks and while I was gone, the lid on the skimmer basket for the filter pump broke and blew off. This basket is the skimmer for the floor drain in my pool. I believe a bunch of leaves in the deck skimmer clogged the flow of water and caused some sort of over-pressure (I don't understand exactly what happened to be honest).

The part that broke (see attached pictures) is buried in the ground and would be expensive/time-consuming to replace, so I'm going to try using J-B waterweld to epoxy the lip back on so I can secure the lid again.

The epoxy is rated on PVC piping up to 60 psi, so if I can get a secure bond it should hold up to the pressure.

Anyone else have this issue and try this before?

Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

IMG-0635.jpgIMG-0637.jpg

Hello all -

I went on vacation for a couple weeks and while I was gone, the lid on the skimmer basket for the filter pump broke and blew off. This basket is the skimmer for the floor drain in my pool. I believe a bunch of leaves in the deck skimmer clogged the flow of water and caused some sort of over-pressure (I don't understand exactly what happened to be honest).

The part that broke (see attached pictures) is buried in the ground and would be expensive/time-consuming to replace, so I'm going to try using J-B waterweld to epoxy the lip back on so I can secure the lid again.

The epoxy is rated on PVC piping up to 60 psi, so if I can get a secure bond it should hold up to the pressure.

Anyone else have this issue and try this before?

Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

View attachment 466972View attachment 466973
Never hurts to try, but it is very hard to get anything to stick to that material for any length of time, unfortunately, especially since that is the portion that holds the lid.

Reactions: jeremystitt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.