Skimmer leaking in colder temps?

Apr 18, 2018
Lakewood, OH
We are in the process of replacing a broken Pentair GloBrite, which required us to open a small section of the concrete pool deck and remove and replace the light niche. Our skimmer is right next to and slightly above the light, so we can see a small portion of the skimmer behind the pool since it's exposed.

After refilling the pool to check for leaks around the newly installed niche, I noticed a small drip coming from the skimmer. I can see water very slowly dripping down the inside of the fiberglass shell. It's hard to say exactly where it's coming from because only a small corner of the skimmer is exposed form the inside, but it appears to be coming from high up where I can't see.

At first I thought that maybe the seal was compromised when the niche was installed or when they sawed the concrete deck do to vibration and hammering.

It's also possible there's been a slow leak there for quite some time or since original installation (3.5 years ago) and we never noticed it.

Then it occurred to me, we always keep the pool water temp in 80s or higher (often 90) and we keep it heated and open year round. It's been drained below the skimmer for a few days with air temps in the upper 50s-60s. Water was 65 degrees when we refilled it. Could contraction cause a small leak to happen and compromise the seal and once the water heats back up it will stop?

Could contraction cause a small leak to happen and compromise the seal and once the water heats back up it will stop?

That is wishful thinking. I doubt it.

The colder temperature could cause a crack to contract a bit and leak a bit more.

We are in the process of replacing a broken Pentair GloBrite, which required us to open a small section of the concrete pool deck and remove and replace the light niche. Our skimmer is right next to and slightly above the light, so we can see a small portion of the skimmer behind the pool since it's exposed.

After refilling the pool to check for leaks around the newly installed niche, I noticed a small drip coming from the skimmer. I can see water very slowly dripping down the inside of the fiberglass shell. It's hard to say exactly where it's coming from because only a small corner of the skimmer is exposed form the inside, but it appears to be coming from high up where I can't see.

At first I thought that maybe the seal was compromised when the niche was installed or when they sawed the concrete deck do to vibration and hammering.

It's also possible there's been a slow leak there for quite some time or since original installation (3.5 years ago) and we never noticed it.

Then it occurred to me, we always keep the pool water temp in 80s or higher (often 90) and we keep it heated and open year round. It's been drained below the skimmer for a few days with air temps in the upper 50s-60s. Water was 65 degrees when we refilled it. Could contraction cause a small leak to happen and compromise the seal and once the water heats back up it will stop?
Any crack will just get worse over time. Better to fix it now no matter why it’s leaking as it can cause a huge amount of damage over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.