Skimmer leaking at hinge point on weir door

Mar 26, 2015
Henderson, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My inground pool is leaking water at hinge point on weir door. I assume that their is a crack or hole on the back or unseen side of the wall that the hinge point is attached . What suggestions do you have for repair or do I need to replace entire skimmer?

I removed weir door, dye tested and found nothing. I dye tested around face plate and any seams at skimmer, still nothing. I dye tested around pool at wall seams and found nothing. Pool leaks down to bottom of skimmer and stays there.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DBB36636-0F48-4330-AC76-D262AB6A8C44.jpeg
    DBB36636-0F48-4330-AC76-D262AB6A8C44.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 9
fnc,

Plug the pipe or pipes in the bottom of the skimmer, add some water and see if it still leaks.

Edit... I have never been able to have any good results with dye tests. Maybe it is just me...

Thanks,

Jim R.

If the hinge is at the bottom of the skimmer intake, it seems to me the leak is lower down in the skimmer body. That's not an uncommon spot. Is the decking concrete around the skimmer? Any cracks in the concrete that could indicate the submerged part of the skimmer has cracked?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fnc,

Plug the pipe or pipes in the bottom of the skimmer, add some water and see if it still leaks.

Edit... I have never been able to have any good results with dye tests. Maybe it is just me...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, I did as you suggested and I haven’t noticed any more drop . Thank You! Btw, no luck with dye testing for me either.

Last edited:
fnc,

I'd let it sit overnight with the plugs in and if still ok tomorrow, remove the plugs.

If it goes down, it means you have a leak in the bottom of the skimmer itself or suction line.

How many pipes in the bottom of your skimmer? I assume one???

Thanks,

Jim R.

fnc,

I'd let it sit overnight with the plugs in and if still ok tomorrow, remove the plugs.

If it goes down, it means you have a leak in the bottom of the skimmer itself or suction line.

How many pipes in the bottom of your skimmer? I assume one???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just one pipe plus one other plug. Water level is still at point when I installed the plug. Btw, I did shut off ball valve to skimmer and turned the pump on.

Skimmer still turned off and plugged return line. Water level is back down to bottom of skimmer. I have no idea what the next step for me to take.
I will be closing pool in 2-3 weeks.

Water level fell back to bottom of skimmer. Level inside skimmer is 2-3” above top of skimmer basket. I’m not ready to bring in pool company yet.
Any more suggestions ? I really cannot figure it out. There are no seams or anything at the current water level.

Just to be clear..

The water in the pool is below the skimmer mouth.
You plugged the pipes in the bottom of the skimmer and then filled the skimmer basket area up with water.
The water has now dropped in area that you filled up.
No cracks or seams in the skimmer that you can see.

If the above is true? Then water has to be leaking at an unseen crack, or around the plugged pipes and into the ground below the skimmers.

With the water lower in the skimmer basket area, it might be worth trying the dye tests again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim , there is enough water to go into skimmer but not enough to turn skimmer on. It’s plugged and gate valve to skimmer is off . I guess you would say water level is at 1/2”-1” above skimmer faceplate(opening) and allows a little water to enter.
Only water loss now seems to be through dehydration. I will do dye test again tomorrow

I did another dye test on the skimmer with no luck. I am adding some more water to pool, about 1” and will try dye test again.
I did remove plug from skimmer and the pipe was full of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.