North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I have a leak in one of two skimmers. Over the last several months I have noticed my water level falling rather quickly, but was able to just make up for it periodically. However moving into winter when it gets harder to add water I decided, I'll just shut off the suction from the skimmers. That way when the water inevitably falls below the skimmer, it won't damage the pump. What I found to my surprise was that with the skimmers turned off, when the water level got down to the bottom of the skimmer it stopped dropping. Now I have to try to find which skimmer is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to determine which skimmer is leaking or what to look for in the skimmer fo evidence of leakage?

Plug one skimmer hole at a time with a winterizing plug or potato.

Create a plate with wood or metal that you can use to block and seal the skimmer mouth.

One of those should identify if your leak is from a skimmer pipe or from the pool shell joint with the skimmer mouth.

Reviving my old leak thread, as I believe I have a semi related issue. I'm pretty sure I identified the leaking skimmer, and believe the leak is underground between the skimmer and the equipment pad. Of course it's the one on the far side of the pool. I identified it by putting plugs into both skimmers and shutting the isolation's at the equipment pad and then watching water level. after several days, no change. I then removed both plugs and opened both valves-Increased level drop. I then reinstalled the plug in the far skimmer and closed it's isolation-level is now stable. So, that leak identified.
In the middle of all of this was the GREAT FREEZE of 2021, which broke the equipment on my pad.
I have since replaced all four of my suction line valves and the pump with anew VS pump. But now have a different type of suction side air leak. when the pump runs on low speed fro an extended period, the top half of the basket fills with air.

My next step, and this is where I am asking for a sanity check, is to pressurize my whole system with air and then do a soap bubble test to look for leaks. Basically, I'm going to tap in where the pressure guage attaches at the top of my DE filter, shut off the flow back to the pool, shut off my suction lines, and then connect my air compressor and pressurize the system to between 10-15 psi as indicated at the pressure guage, then look for leaks. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Attachments

• 20210306_151708.jpg
    20210306_151708.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Pool Pressure.png
    Pool Pressure.png
    15 KB · Views: 3
That exact things happens with my VS pump, low and slow pulls air in and it keeps it in the pump basket... It only happens over 4 to 8 hours or so... I know I do not have a leak, just a by product of running on low :) Never did it when I had my 2 speed on low and anything over 1300 rpm it will not do it at all :)

That exact things happens with my VS pump, low and slow pulls air in and it keeps it in the pump basket... It only happens over 4 to 8 hours or so... I know I do not have a leak, just a by product of running on low :) Never did it when I had my 2 speed on low and anything over 1300 rpm it will not do it at all :)
does your pump still adequately circulate your pool? My basket is like half air when I check it in the morning. My fear is that it's not actually pushing any water through the system.

It is still working, just very slow... It is only about 3 PSI and the water is barely moving... very efficient way to do it :)

Now mine is only down about an inch or so in 24 hours and if it goes to 1300 rpm for my SWG it completely fills up...

I'm still pretty sure I have a suction side leak. I don't think I got those joints together real good when I put the last section of PVC in

Pump basket getting air when running at low RPMs is normal with a VS pump. As long as the pump is not cavitating and the water is up to the outlet in the basket then the air bubble is not a problem.

It's about half of the basket, I'm pretty sure it's below 5he discharge. I'll try to take a picture when I get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What RPM are you running the pump?

Does the air bubble disappear over time when you raise the RPMs?

I want to say normally around a 1000 rpm, if I kick it up to clean mode, which is 2800 rpm it will eventually clear with the exception of some small bubbles that remain.

I want to say normally around a 1000 rpm, if I kick it up to clean mode, which is 2800 rpm it will eventually clear with the exception of some small bubbles that remain.

The lower the RPM the more you get an air bubble. 1,000 which is about minimum RPM you get a good sized bubble.

If the bubble size varies with pump RPM you don't have a leak problem.

I don't think you have a problem but feel free to spending your time proving me wrong.

I don't think you have a problem but feel free to spending your time proving me wrong.
After running the test as described above, the only leak I found was a very minor on the skimmer lid. So, looks like you were right.

I had some skimmer leaks, but a pool tech guy found them by squirting some dye around the skimmer joints and found the dye was getting pulled in the joints. Sealed it with epoxy and took care of it. He said leaks underground were possible but unlikely. I’d say if it is leaking, check any o-rings in the unions at the equipment pad or check for leaks around the skimmer opening with some dye.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.