Skimmer leak questions

Amyannwilson

Aug 9, 2019
Iowa
We have been battling a skimmer leak since last year. With no help from the pool company,they are too busy. So I have done everything people have suggested on here with dye tests and it appears the leak is in the underground pipe. Pool had previously been neglected by prior owners, and I wonder if it wasn't properly winterized. We have had a plumber out and he said he will conservatively try to remove cement around skimmer and dig by hand to find leak. My question is, while I have this all torn apart would it be best to replace the skimmer box as it is probably pretty old. Would like to do once and do right. Thanks!!! How would I know what skimmer box to replace with are they pretty standard, is there somewhere I can look on my existing one. P.S. My pool was built in 1971.

You can use epoxy putty and also silicone caulking around the mouth. Depends on bad the issue is and if it's skimmer cracks or plumbing, but I've done some repairs myself that hold and just lowered the water line and cleaned it all up and the pool holds water. If it's in concrete decking it becomes more work to break it up for access, take off the liner and lower the water line, then replace and work on the skimmer so ad hoc repairs are a good first line defense to see if it will hold until you do a bigger renovation like liner replacement and etc. to just throw it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.