Skimmer Diverter Plate/Float almost emptied my Pool.

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
I recently read a post where someone made a DIY double elbow pipe with a few holes to use in place of a skimmer diverter plate due to cost. Someone else mentioned the plate/float also served to prevent the pump from losing suction if level were to fall below the skimmer. This is also mentioned in this post, Is it OK to not use a skimmer diverter? , as a safety feature.

However in my case, which may be very rare, a few weeks ago my older Hayward cartridge filters lid cracked in half over night. I woke up to water spewing from the filter and a Pool that was 5 Ft. Lower!
I had thought the pump should have lost suction by then, but now realize it was because of the diverter plate. Now I can't help but think, what if I had been out of town? Would it have drained my in ground gunite pool to almost Empty? With my very high water table and how wet the yard has been recently could it not have easily popped my pool out of the ground? Goodbye Pool!

I think a burnt up motor and/or pump sounds like a better result in this situation, or any other case where a fitting/connection may break and start draining your pool. I've replaced the filter and a new pump housing since, but considering doing away with the diverter or making that DIY elbow. Just wondering if anyone has heard of something like this happening.

Guy,

There is no reason to use the diverter if you don't want too.. This will basically mean that you no longer have a functioning main drain, but there are most likely millions of pools that are missing the diverter, and they all work just fine. I have two of them and can't tell the difference..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.