Skimmer basic question

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
New pool owner here. Our pool has two skimmers, similar to this one, and I'm not clear on how exactly it works. There are two openings in the bottom, and a slider that can be used to cover one opening or the other. Currently, both are open (i.e. not blocked by the slider). Is this the correct configuration? What's the purpose of the slider?

Thanks for your expertise :)

P,

Most skimmers have two holes in the bottom... In the old days, one hole went to the main drain and the other hole went back to the main pool pump. In most modern pools one hole is plugged and the other hole is connected to the main pool pump.

Post a picture of your equipment pad showing the valves connected to the main pool pump.

Just reach down into the bottom of the skimmer, with the basket removed, and the pump running. Carefully feel to see which hole has suction. The one with the suction is the one connected to the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

rph,

Are you saying your two skimmers are connected in series??? Are you saying that you do not have a valve at the equipment pad that controls the suction from each skimmer? :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Since you have a Jandy valves for the Main Drain and for each skimmer, you don't really have to move the flapper at all.. Just leave it in the middle.

If this were my pool I would set up the valves as follows...

Main Drain.... Only open about 10%

Far Skimmer, open 100%

Near Skimmer... Adjust so that the amount of suction you can feel with your hand at the pipe in the bottom of the skimmer, is about the same as what you can feel at Far skimmer.. (Or, if too lazy to do that, set it about 60% open... :) )

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I do have valves at pad. 2 for skimmers, 1 for main drain. I have both skimmers open at 100% and main drain 20% open. But I still have to move the little flaps on at the skimmers to control suction. If I leave both valves at 100% open and the flaps at 100% open the skimmers do not have the same amount of suction. So I just control it with the flaps. It works for my pool, mileage may vary. :)

rph,

It seems to me it is 6 or one and half a dozen of the other.. If you left the flap full open and adjusted the near skimmer valve you would end up with the same suction at each skimmer.. Either way, you are adjusting the amount of water flowing from the skimmer and into the pump..

But... as long as it works for you, that is all that matters..

Maybe I just don't fully understand the issue.. :scratch:

Jim R.

P,

Since you have a Jandy valves for the Main Drain and for each skimmer, you don't really have to move the flapper at all.. Just leave it in the middle.

If this were my pool I would set up the valves as follows...

Main Drain.... Only open about 10%

Far Skimmer, open 100%

Near Skimmer... Adjust so that the amount of suction you can feel with your hand at the pipe in the bottom of the skimmer, is about the same as what you can feel at Far skimmer.. (Or, if too lazy to do that, set it about 60% open... :) )

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.