Skim-a-round

Just put the words “skim a round” up in the search box (upper right of TFP Homepage, it’s powered by Google so it actually returns useful results) and you’ll find a bunch of posts about it. Most are not good reviews.

I had a Skim Doctor on my old pool, bought the Skim-A-Round for this one. The main advantage of the SAR is that it also functions as a weir. It's not particularly important to me since my weir is working fine. It's just double protection from keeping debris from going back into the pool. I have to say that the Skim Doctor was significantly more effective at speeding up the water flow, which was a big issue with my old pool (it had virtually no circulation and the skimmer was at the wrong end of the pool). However, the Skim Doctor was a bit more finicky. Sometimes it would pull so hard that it would cause my skimmer to run dry and close the floating valve at the bottom of the skimmer to just pull water from the main drain (in that pool, the main ran through the skimmer, and only the skimmer line was plumbed to the pump). It needed more adjustments and was sensitive to the overall flow of the system (e.g., if the solar was running, if the filters were just cleaned, etc). The SAR seems to be a great replacement basket that does speed up the skimming action a bit, and also functions as a weir. Both of these are cheap and effective at improving skimming action. The Skim Doctor bolts onto your existing basket, whereas the SAR replaces the basket. I know there is a Skim Doctor 2.0 now, but I haven't looked at what the differences are from the original.

I had a Skim Doctor on my old pool, bought the Skim-A-Round for this one. The main advantage of the SAR is that it also functions as a weir. It's not particularly important to me since my weir is working fine. It's just double protection from keeping debris from going back into the pool. I have to say that the Skim Doctor was significantly more effective at speeding up the water flow, which was a big issue with my old pool (it had virtually no circulation and the skimmer was at the wrong end of the pool). However, the Skim Doctor was a bit more finicky. Sometimes it would pull so hard that it would cause my skimmer to run dry and close the floating valve at the bottom of the skimmer to just pull water from the main drain (in that pool, the main ran through the skimmer, and only the skimmer line was plumbed to the pump). It needed more adjustments and was sensitive to the overall flow of the system (e.g., if the solar was running, if the filters were just cleaned, etc). The SAR seems to be a great replacement basket that does speed up the skimming action a bit, and also functions as a weir. Both of these are cheap and effective at improving skimming action. The Skim Doctor bolts onto your existing basket, whereas the SAR replaces the basket. I know there is a Skim Doctor 2.0 now, but I haven't looked at what the differences are from the original.
. I was told by the company SAR to remove the skimmer flap. What’s the correct name ? Wear?

I purchased a Skim-A-Round Ultimate last year. I used it mostly in "Original" mode, with just the Skimmer and hose, and no Vacuum hooked up.
I was very satisfied with it's performance, until....

Yesterday, I removed the internal basket, and tried pulling the surrounding float out of the water with the internal basket removed. The structure surrounding the basketed failed, and cracked. Upon further examination, the other side was starting to crack also. Contacted Skim-A-Round, will follow-up with their answer.

Disappointed that plastic float failed after short time.

EDIT: Not sure I can recommend these products. Mine failed just removing it from the pool, and they claim they don't support my generation of Skim-a-Round that is just over 1 year old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.