SJ-40 Power LED is Blinking/Flashing w/no output

Jun 5, 2013
This just started happening yesterday on my just over a year old SJ-40. The unit powers on, but the power LED steadily blinks. It used to power on, pause a moment, then LEDs would all light to my desired output level, then a moment later the cell would start bubbling.

With the SWG on for hours, nothing changes, only just blinks. I found in troubleshooting manuals it says "The cell isn't getting power" is what a blinking power LED means. I can visually verify that as the cell is clear, only the occasional bubble flowing from the filter tells me there's water in it at all. Where normally there's a cloudy mess of bubbles formed from the fins of the cell.

Seems like a similar issue as Cmasty mentioned below on this forum, although he didn't mention the blinking LED.

Also in the troubleshooting manual it suggests raising the desired power level to Super CL mode, then holding the + button to request more chlorine. This did get the 1/2 polarity LEDs to cycle yesterday, then the power LED went solid and the cell began working. However today this trick has not yielded the same result. The 1/2 polarity does cycle, but then it stops and the power LED continues to blink.

Temperature is 85 degrees, salt level is between 7 and 7.2 on the salt test strips. (Meaning somewhere between 4k and 4.4k PPM salt) PH is 7.5. I'll run numbers on TA and CH later, I seem to recall my TA being higher than expected after a new liner/fresh city water this season. But it was 220 last I checked, and I did a LSI calculation which put my pool at +0.22. I think that suggested I'm leaning toward having scaling problems, but overall pretty good. The fins on the salt cell look pristine though.

I know Cmasty had poor results but I really recommend trying to contact the company. In so many instances they have shown to have great customer service.

Again, lets try @circupool

To be fair, I only first experienced issues yesterday, and after doing the 'Hold the + while in Super CL mode' trick my SWG restarted normally. Today is the first day that it flat out will not work. At CircuPool's website they state their hours of operation are M-F, so I'll check with them tomorrow. I'm old fashioned, so no support on Sunday is fine by me. For a seasonal (pool) company, Saturday hours wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I'm a business owner who maintains strict M-F hours, so I can't complain. People need to rest too!

I did check out Discount Salt Pool's website, which is where I bought the unit last year. They had a live chat which actually appeared that I got in touch with somebody very courteous. He didn't offer anything beyond generic tips for today. But he said the tech support crew is available tomorrow, and offered to have them contact me.

I'll check with both companies tomorrow as I was planning on a vacation soon and really need that SWG up and going for then.

I'll let you know how customer service goes, as that is one of CircuPool's selling points, a 7 year warranty even if self installed.

Reactions: mknauss
@mknauss , thanks for attempting to summon CircuPool. They don't need to update this thread currently. Discount Salt Pool tech support guided me through obvious checks/tests, and the tech has concluded that my control box has failed. I'm supposed to have a new box in the mail soon. I'll update this thread later when the SJ-40 is up and going again.

Update: After talking with tech support on Monday regarding my issues, they concluded that my control box had failed. I arrive home from work today with a new control box on the front porch. Replacing an SJ unit is rather simple. Salt cell has a single plug that snaps on/off easily. Bonding wire is a single screw, then just undo/redo your 3 wire electric to pump timer. New box installed, power the unit on, LEDs have returned to their normal boot cycle, and the cell is off making chlorine again.

As far as I'm concerned the warranty/customer support from Discount Salt Pool was excellent. I first contacted them Monday around noon, and was fixed Thursday evening.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.