Sizing New Sand Filter???

Aug 12, 2018
New Orleans, LA
The Current Sand Filter is at least 15 years old (probably 20+) and is developing leaks around the neck... so, time for a new sand filter.

Pool is 24,000 Gallon, Kidney Shaped (deep end 9' 6")

Current Filtration: TA100D TAGELUS SWIMMING POOL FILTER SAND 30" TM W/2" VALVE
2" TAGELUS Multiport Valve TA 100D Clamp Style 8" Neck
2hp Sta-Rite Max-E Dynaflow pump

The Stub-Up plumbing in the concrete and leading to the skimmer and jets (return and supply) are 1.5"

This is the system that was in place when I purchased the home... and, it has worked flawlessly.

I've always been curious about the drop from 2" to 1.5" pipe sizing... should the filtration system be sized down to the largest 1.5" Filter/Valve/Pump?

Thanks

dennis

Last edited:
The 30" sand filter is a nice size for your pool. I would suggest a 30" replacement

1.5 inch piping is not as desirable as 2" for that system but it is VERY close. Your psi runs higher with 1.5 inch but not enough to consider changing anything.

I know you didn't ask but a 1.5 HP 2-speed pump will probably pay for itself in electricity savings over that 2 HP single speed.

THANK YOU!!!! A little confirmation is *extremely* helpful. I ordered the following...

Pentair 261185 2" TAGELUS Multiport Valve TA 100D Only Clamps Style 8" Neck
Pentair 145240 TA100D TAGELUS SWIMMING POOL FILTER SAND 30" TM W/2" VALVE

It's a package deal... hope it arrives before the old tank gives way (it gets dicier every day). I'll check and see if the pump I have is a 2-speed (it may be) and rewire as such if it is... and, will revisit the site when it's time for a new pump (it's about 3 years old). I will probably drop it to 1.5hp the next time around.

Thanks again@!@!

dennis

You probably know this already but, just in case, there is a butyl o-ring that goes between the multi valve and the filter body (at the "neck") that hardens and oxidizes with age. This is frequently the cause of leaks where you describe. You may have just needed to replace that and the rest of the filter may have worked fine.

In any event make sure you use plenty of silicone/teflon lubricant on the new filter o-ring - it aids sealing and o-ring longevity.

Yes, it comes with the valve. I wanted to show what valve came with it so I listed it separately in the post (as many venders provide less than adequate descriptions of the products they sell). Most of the TA100D(s) I looked at came with 1.5" valves (if anyone else out there buys one look carefully at the valve size).

The valve on the tank now is a 2"er and like the pump is about 3 years old... so, it will be my back-up valve. The Hayward AQR15 SWCG has 2" fittings as well.

The tank psi has historically been 18psi... it has dropped to 16psi since the fiberglass @ the neck has started to crack/split and give way.

And, I did check my pump... single speed ;-(
Sta-Rite P6EA6G-207L Max-E-Pro Energy Efficient *Single Speed* Up Rated Pool and Spa Pump, 2 HP, 230-Volt

Yes... I discovered the *cracks* in the fiberglass when I removed the valve to replace *that* O-Ring. I stopped immediately and did *not* attempt to replace the O-Ring. I carefully put everything back together and have been praying since Tuesday that it holds until I get the new filter. I'm only running it 2 to 3 hours a day right now and babysit it while it runs. I have jacked FC up to about the 7 or 8 range in case it does blow out before I get the new filter.

Last edited:
I should further qualify this... there is an 8"ID LARGE Hex nut on top of the tank. It screws into the tank and it has a large O-Ring as well. This is where the problem is... *not* the O-Ring that sits between the top of the tank and the valve and are secured together by a stainless steel compression clamp. <-- hope I got that right?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.