Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
SE, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had an inch + leak out of my pool last night. I repaired a crack in the skimmer last month and it had been fine. There is no water at the pad so it would seem to be from the pool or piping. No obvious wet spots around the pool. This pool is 24 years old and some of the concrete decking started to sink last year. Not a lot of them but maybe 2 or 3. I noticed the cracked skimmer after opening 1 April. I patched it and all was well. I will be doing more research to see if it could be some where else but I’m guessing the skimmer. It is sinking into the piping below.

My question is, who do I contact for estimates for the repair if it turns out to be the skimmer? A pool installer, pool maintenance company, leak detection company or who? The original pool installer is still in business and I intend to contact them next week, they just installed my new liner 2 years ago. I would like to get several quotes and was just trying to figure out who to approach.

Any questimates on what something like a new skimmer install on an inground liner pool might cost? I’m guessing $5000, hopefully I’m over estimating. 😥

Thanks, Luke

Ok that's alot better than I had in my head. Its not my wheelhouse so hang tight for thoughts. :)

Reactions: JWLuke
I'd let it go and see if it stops at the skimmer faceplate. (Pump off) If the leak keeps going past that, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I'd let it go and see if it stops at the skimmer faceplate. (Pump off) If the leak keeps going past that, you're barking up the wrong tree.
I agree, i will leave the pump off tonight after I add my LC and mix it up. I will come back tomorrow and let you know what happened overnight. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok, start day 3, I have had the pump mostly off, the skimmer has been cut completely off since Sunday morning at ball valve at the pad, today is Tuesday. I do turn the pump on every 6 hours using the bottom drain only for circulation, it runs for an hour.

Not sure where to go from here. Keep holding to see if more will drain out?

i cant figure out how to get the photos to line up in order.

C855D926-C2AB-4667-8C83-64B7C5A4E578.jpegFE7C0AA8-6251-4369-B7C9-F48CFA9C03AA.jpegC855D926-C2AB-4667-8C83-64B7C5A4E578.jpeg7D781612-DC29-46A3-886F-5A84E2B92C34.jpeg
1C4E35DD-9112-4A58-AD95-10A0A023BE9B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like it only has a little to go. It either tapers off to evaporation only, or it keeps leaking and evaporating.
So you recommend I just stay in this holding pattern until it levels off at the skimmer bottom? It seems to me it is just evaporating now. But that is a strange place to have a leak. I walked the perimeter to check for holes in liner but nothing was obvious.

So you recommend I just stay in this holding pattern until it levels off at the skimmer bottom? It seems to me it is just evaporating now.
Yeah. Let it go to (hopefully) make sure that's the leak level if it tapered off or not.

Reactions: JWLuke
Day 4, pump still off and not much water movement except probably evaporation. What should my next step be? Fill it back up and fire up the pump and open the skimmer pipe and see if it happens again? Not sure where to go from here. Attached photo (#1) is from 8:30 this morning. And (#2) 8:59 last night.

Attachments

• 19180C66-5E41-46B1-83B2-F57F63D381C5.jpeg
    19180C66-5E41-46B1-83B2-F57F63D381C5.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BA8388F2-CB37-4592-B1DF-B08DD366E162.jpeg
    BA8388F2-CB37-4592-B1DF-B08DD366E162.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 3
What should my next step be? Fill it back up and fire up the pump and open the skimmer pipe and see if it happens again?
Yeah. The leak could still be anywhere at that level, (unlikely elsewhere) but you'll rule out everything below it.

Day 5. Refilled water level to normal, opened skimmer and no noticeable water loss this morning after 18 hours. Will keep an eye out for any changes, hopefully the loss was a one time thing. Thanks for the help Newdude.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.