Single Digits In Central Texas Next Week

JFS61

Aug 16, 2015
Bryan, Texas
Going to get down in the single digits here in Central Texas next week and I'm concerned.

We've had extended periods in the 20's (even upper teens) before with no problems (even without draining the equipment on the pad), but I'm concerned now. Earlier in the fall, I drained the filter and pulled the plugs on the pump, but that's because I was anticipating nothing extraordinary. I can't even recall the last time we've had temperatures even get down below the mid-teens.

Thus my question, should I consider dusting off the pump, and getting it running again? I'm especially worried about the skimmer (even with putting sealed bottles of antifreeze or alcohol in the basket), not to mention the below ground pipes. Going to be a pain as the pump hasn't run in a while and the water in dirty, meaning there's going to be pressure issues (tearing down and cleaning a filter in freezing weather is not something I'm looking forward to).

If I decide not to fully restart the pool, should I at least try running the pump on the waste setting until the skimmer is empty and try to get out as much water from the lines as possible? I know some people recommend blowing out the lines, but I no longer have a working leaf blower. Even just thinking about the possibility of having to rip out the decking to replace busted pipes gives me the vapors.

Sorry for the freakout, but this is something we don't run into much down this way (as before, I'm having trouble to trying the remember the last time it even got below the teens here in the past 50 years).

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have drained your surface equipment, leave it that way.

Review the Everything Else forum for a number of threads on this subject.

I wouldn't worry about your lines under ground. Even with this artic blast, it's not like weeks/months of crippling cold they see up north. Your skimmer? ..... ehhhh, if you have cut-up pool noodles or something in there it should be fine. You've already drained items at the equipment pad, so you should be good there. Maybe drape a tarp over the equipment pad to keep the sleet and harsh winds off of it. Wrap-up any lines exposed above ground perhaps just to be safe.

Reactions: Leebo
I wouldn't worry about your lines under ground. Even with this artic blast, it's not like weeks/months of crippling cold they see up north. Your skimmer? ..... ehhhh, if you have cut-up pool noodles or something in there it should be fine. You've already drained items at the equipment pad, so you should be good there. Maybe drape a tarp over the equipment pad to keep the sleet and harsh winds off of it. Wrap-up any lines exposed above ground perhaps just to be safe.

Thanks.

If I decide to wrap the lines above ground, what should I use?

Thanks.

If I decide to wrap the lines above ground, what should I use?
You can just use blankets, towels, etc. You could go "all out" and get pipe insulation (like this) but that's probably not necessary. If your equipment is above the pool (which I assume it is) most if not all of the water in the above ground pipes will drain below the ground level. Not a bad idea to make sure all the valves are open to allow any expansion *if* there is any water left in it.

By valves, do you mean the red-handled valves on the mains at ground level, or the multiport? As for the red turn valves, I haven't touched them, and they are in the same position as when the pool runs.

Anyway, the pad is up against the backyard fence, and blocked from the north wind by the house (which less than twenty feet away), underneath tree and shrub cover (not only above, but around the edges of the fence as well), so I'm hoping that will afford some protection.

If this helps. This is a frostline map. The depths at which the ground freezes. Your underground pool plumbing should be deeper than your frostline...

frost line map.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.